help me you guys, thx

choice-cs

help me you guys, thx

Post by choice-cs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:35 pm

MY major gpa 3.7, but my SUB score is ugly, 700 (54), general V430(43%), Q 760(84%)

I have submitted a paper to APL and now it is uner reviewing.

If it is accepted, am I qualified to go to the top university like UIUC, UCSD UMN, Berkeley, UMD?

If the answer is no, what about U of Pittsburgh, TAMU, OR FSU, ISU?

HappyQuark

Re: help me you guys, thx

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:10 am

choice-cs wrote:MY major gpa 3.7, but my SUB score is ugly, 700 (54), general V430(43%), Q 760(84%)

I have submitted a paper to APL and now it is uner reviewing.

If it is accepted, am I qualified to go to the top university like UIUC, UCSD UMN, Berkeley, UMD?

If your submitted paper gets in then the only school you will be able to get into will be the University of Toledo. However, if it doesn't get in, you'll have a 63% chance of getting into the University of Akron and a 12% chance of getting into Texas Christian Tech.

On a related note, when you don't get into either of these prestigious schools, give a hot toddy a try, it will make you feel better.

The_Duck

Post by The_Duck » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:14 am

choice-cs, HappyQuark's style of response above has become typical for these questions because the only other answer is "go check out the profile threads and try to judge for yourself," a response which is routinely dubbed to boring to merit being posted.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 am

The_Duck wrote:choice-cs, HappyQuark's style of response above has become typical for these questions because the only other answer is "go check out the profile threads and try to judge for yourself," a response which is routinely dubbed to boring to merit being posted.
Since you spilled the beans, I'm going to criticize you for your poor grammar.

It's too boring, not to boring!

The_Duck

Post by The_Duck » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:52 am

I am covered in shame, HappyQuark. I have only this desperate attempt to salvage the situation: I now claim that what I really meant was that since saying the helpful response in English doesn't really merit being posted, the words are routinely translated to another language known as "boring."

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:18 am

The_Duck wrote:I am covered in shame, HappyQuark. I have only this desperate attempt to salvage the situation: I now claim that what I really meant was that since saying the helpful response in English doesn't really merit being posted, the words are routinely translated to another language known as "boring."
Well a language name is usually capitalized because it's a proper noun. So the sentence should be:

choice-cs, HappyQuark's style of response above has become typical for these questions because the only other answer is "go check out the profile threads and try to judge for yourself," a response which is routinely dubbed to Boring to merit being posted.

choice-cs

Post by choice-cs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:22 am

$$but I still can not get your points....how can I choose my school?$$

The_Duck

Post by The_Duck » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:34 am

choice-cs, if you click this link, and scroll down, you will see a bunch of "applicant profile" threads where applicants from previous years have written down a lot of information about their applications and also which schools they got into. Comparing yourself to posts in those threads, you might be able to get some sense of your chances of getting into various schools.

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:40 am

choice-cs wrote:$$but I still can not get your points....how can I choose my school?$$
Solve the following equations for the correct linear combination that give the photon field:

$$W^{i}_{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu} W^{i}_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} W_{\mu}^{i} - g \epsilon_{ijk}W_{\mu}^{j}W_{\nu}^{k}$$
$$B_{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu}B_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu}B_{\mu}$$

.......then....... thou shalt have light to lead thou on thine quest for graduate schools!

p.s. So PhysicsGRE's latex does not render equation arrays? I'm disappointed.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:53 am

Remember that my response is my opinion from a detailed examination of the applicant profiles myself that they have mentioned.

It seems that you are an international student. A 700 will probably not get you into a top ranked school even with a paper published. Just from the quality of other applicants, you probably have a very small chance. I'm just saying this so you consider applying to lower end schools, so you save time and money.

-Riley

choice-cs

Post by choice-cs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:18 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:Remember that my response is my opinion from a detailed examination of the applicant profiles myself that they have mentioned.

It seems that you are an international student. A 700 will probably not get you into a top ranked school even with a paper published. Just from the quality of other applicants, you probably have a very small chance. I'm just saying this so you consider applying to lower end schools, so you save time and money.

-Riley
Thank you so much!

Yes, I am an international student. I do not apply for the top universities.

I want to know what are the lower universities? What about their ranking? 30-50? or 50-80? or more lower?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:15 am

choice-cs wrote:If it is accepted, am I qualified to go to the top university like UIUC, UCSD UMN, Berkeley, UMD?

UIUC - Probably not
UMD - Probably not
Berkeley - No
UCSD - Probably not
UMN - Probably okay

The rest should be okay as far as I know.

choice-cs

Post by choice-cs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
choice-cs wrote:If it is accepted, am I qualified to go to the top university like UIUC, UCSD UMN, Berkeley, UMD?

UIUC - Probably not
UMD - Probably not
Berkeley - No
UCSD - Probably not
UMN - Probably okay

The rest should be okay as far as I know.
I really appreciate your help!