Time spent on school work during your undergrad?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

How much time on average did you spend on school work during your undergrad daily?

< 4 hours
38%
4 - 6 hours
13%
6 - 7 hours
13%
7 - 8 hours
25%
8 - 10 hours
No votes
10 - 12 hours
13%
12 - 14 hours
No votes
> 14 hours
No votes

Total votes: 8

Ryker

Time spent on school work during your undergrad?

Post by Ryker » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm a new member here, just registered after browsing the forums a bit. As for the topic, I've opened up a similar one on another physics messageboard, so I apologize to those that are on there and see this as redundant :)

Basically, I was wondering how much time you spend (or spent, if you're done already) daily doing school-related stuff (lectures included). I sometimes see people here saying they study for up to 12 hours daily, but that just seems really excessive to me. And where I come from and from my first degree experience I have never heard of anyone studying that much, except for perhaps just before exams (as our system allowed cramming, instead of studying on a regular basis). But if you have to put in that much time, then it makes you kind of wonder if you're really fit for this. I currently put in around 8 hours per day, I'd say, and even that seems a lot to me. That's namely 55 - 60 hours per week, which is more than you average working week. I don't expect to cruise through my undergrad studies, and am willing to work hard, but would still like to get a perspective on this, as I think it would offer a good start to clearly evaluate what is needed in order to "suceed" (whatever that means) and how much of my other interests I am truly willing to sacrifice.

satyad18

Re: Time spent on school work during your undergrad?

Post by satyad18 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:54 pm

M undergrad was in engineering. If you asking about school work, well, less than 4 hours. But I used to spend more time reading/studying math and physics, for almost 7-8 hours.