Anyone applying to Applied Physics?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

physicsgraduate

Anyone applying to Applied Physics?

Post by physicsgraduate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:39 am

Anyone applying to Applied Physics? Has anyone visited any school and was particularly impressed?

crazy_physics

Re: Anyone applying to Applied Physics?

Post by crazy_physics » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:00 pm

I am applying to Harvard, Caltech, Stanford, Yale, and Cornell. Aiming Harvard, highest ranked and has the best facilities and faculties. They are really rich. But, I think it's probably not easy to get in because they admit qualified engineering backgrounds as well so the number of applicants is enormous. I think Stanford and Caltech typically consider mostly physics major undergraduates. I think Stanford's admission rate for Applied Physics is like 15-20 percent on their website. The Harvard admission office emailed me back and told me their admission percentage is below 10 percent, something like 8%. I have already visited some schools already.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:28 am

crazy_physics wrote:I am applying to Harvard, Caltech, Stanford, Yale, and Cornell. Aiming Harvard, highest ranked and has the best facilities and faculties. They are really rich. But, I think it's probably not easy to get in because they admit qualified engineering backgrounds as well so the number of applicants is enormous. I think Stanford and Caltech typically consider mostly physics major undergraduates. I think Stanford's admission rate for Applied Physics is like 15-20 percent on their website. The Harvard admission office emailed me back and told me their admission percentage is below 10 percent, something like 8%. I have already visited some schools already.
I'm applying to all the schools with the biggest egos as well.

-Riley

crazy_physics

Post by crazy_physics » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:37 am

Great, good luck.

physicsgraduate

Post by physicsgraduate » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:40 am

For me personally, Harvard (first) Stanford (second) are the goal. I am also applying to some ball-park places. These two top ones are just really unpredictable.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:46 pm

physicsgraduate wrote:For me personally, Harvard (first) Stanford (second) are the goal. I am also applying to some ball-park places. These two top ones are just really unpredictable.
With your mindset you obviously need to attend one of these schools. Glad I'm getting some eye-openers about the type of people who attend these places...

-Riley

drb

Post by drb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:51 pm

you mean "apply"

ramathorn

Post by ramathorn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:56 pm

At first I was considering Harvard, Caltech, Stanford, and Cornell AP of relatively similar value and interest to me. That was before I attended a big conference in my subfield and met all the researchers I wanted to work with, and all their students.

Now I would give my left hand to be admitted at Harvard. And if I make it in with both hands I will laugh and laugh and laugh as I dance across all the mangled corpses of the electrical engineers that stood in my way.

signminus

Post by signminus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:27 pm

crazy_physics wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote: I'm applying to all the schools with the biggest egos as well.
Great, good luck.
Hahahaha, man, this is great.

ali8

Post by ali8 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:47 am

ramathorn wrote: And if I make it in with both hands I will laugh and laugh and laugh as I dance across all the mangled corpses of the electrical engineers that stood in my way.
What are you pointing to with these words ?

ITAphys88

Post by ITAphys88 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:28 pm

hey i'm interested in applied physics programs, as well as materials science,
but i would like to ask you if you know which of the two is more suitable for getting a job in the industry after the phd.
thanks!

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue May 24, 2011 8:50 pm

ITAphys88 wrote:hey i'm interested in applied physics programs, as well as materials science,
but i would like to ask you if you know which of the two is more suitable for getting a job in the industry after the phd.
thanks!
Materials Science, now go away.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:05 pm

ITAphys88 wrote:hey i'm interested in applied physics programs, as well as materials science,
thanks!
Whichever program will give you more social skills to interact with the people who could possibly hire you.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:06 am

thanks!
Going on what riley said, engineering schools probably have more career guidance in place, which is not insignificant. It's nice to have recruiters come to you, rather than you constantly having to convince people you'd be a good hire.