Have no idea what to do!

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

lethal71

Have no idea what to do!

Post by lethal71 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

I am a freshman at Missouri S&T going for a major in physics. However I have no previous physics classes, due to being a transfer student I'm not enrolled in a physics class this semester, never thought I would be going for physics so never prepared (ex. no previous research). So I guess what I'm saying is I am completely freaked on what I need to do to better prepare myself. I realize I have just started college so have some time, but I feel as if every time I receive an e-mail about applying for summer research programs that I have nothing to offer and wouldn't be chosen anyways.

WhoaNonstop

Re: Have no idea what to do!

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:15 pm

1. Do not panic.

2. Get involved in any research you can as early as you can at your University. Look for stuff you are interested in, and if your school isn't large enough, just jump on any research you can get.

3. Apply to summer programs, even if you don't feel you can offer anything. You probably won't get one this summer, but you never know. Keep applying each summer and just hope for the best.

4. Do not panic.

-Riley

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:06 am

lethal71 wrote:I am a freshman at Missouri S&T going for a major in physics. However I have no previous physics classes, due to being a transfer student I'm not enrolled in a physics class this semester, never thought I would be going for physics so never prepared (ex. no previous research). So I guess what I'm saying is I am completely freaked on what I need to do to better prepare myself. I realize I have just started college so have some time, but I feel as if every time I receive an e-mail about applying for summer research programs that I have nothing to offer and wouldn't be chosen anyways.

lethal71

Post by lethal71 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:54 pm

as a freshman what would be the best way to go about getting teacher recommendation

badphysicist

Post by badphysicist » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:23 pm

lethal71 wrote:as a freshman what would be the best way to go about getting teacher recommendation
Ask all the professors in your department about their research and just listen to them talk. After you've spoken to all of them ask your favorite ones if they have anything a freshman can do in his/her research group.

If applicable also talk to the grad students working in the research group questions too. We don't bite, hard. I don't know about others but I know that I like it when undergrads ask me about the research I'm doing.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:54 pm

You can't get recommendations to work outside your school until you've built connections at your school. Start talking to professors about their research and get involved with a group that sounds interesting. Take some physics classes and talk to your professors. After a year you can think again about applying to external summer research programs, but the bulk of your research experience will come from work you do during the school year with your professors.