applying before you know your pgre score

badphysicist

applying before you know your pgre score

Post by badphysicist » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:53 am

All of the schools with Dec. 15th application deadlines (that I've seen) state that the November test it the latest date that you can take the test and still be cool with the application; makes sense since the next test is the following April. Anyway, my question is have you guys been submitting your applications/do you plan to submit your applications without a pgre score listed and instead just state that you've taken the November test? Or is everyone going to pay the devils their blood money and get their scores online and submit at the last minute?

satyad18

Re: applying before you know your pgre score

Post by satyad18 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:33 am

badphysicist wrote:All of the schools with Dec. 15th application deadlines (that I've seen) state that the November test it the latest date that you can take the test and still be cool with the application; makes sense since the next test is the following April. Anyway, my question is have you guys been submitting your applications/do you plan to submit your applications without a pgre score listed and instead just state that you've taken the November test? Or is everyone going to pay the devils their blood money and get their scores online and submit at the last minute?
Even I'm experiencing similar dilemma. Could anyone shed some light on this?

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:35 am

badphysicist wrote:All of the schools with Dec. 15th application deadlines (that I've seen) state that the November test it the latest date that you can take the test and still be cool with the application; makes sense since the next test is the following April. Anyway, my question is have you guys been submitting your applications/do you plan to submit your applications without a pgre score listed and instead just state that you've taken the November test? Or is everyone going to pay the devils their blood money and get their scores online and submit at the last minute?
If I'm understanding your question correctly, you are asking whether or not you can apply to a school without having received your November scores yet? This particular question has been answered a number of times so a search will probably yield a lot of useful info. With that said, here we go again.

All physics graduate programs in all of existence, from here to eternity are aware that scores are not reported from the November GRE until past the Dec 15th application deadline and they are all okay with this fact. Since the schools you are applying to need official scores from ETS (i.e. you can't just get your scores over the phone and then add that to your application) your only option is to ensure that you have payed for score reports to go to all of those schools with a deadline of Dec 15. Once scores are published, a report will be sent to the school and it will be added to the rest of your admissions information.

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:43 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
If I'm understanding your question correctly, you are asking whether or not you can apply to a school without having received your November scores yet? This particular question has been answered a number of times so a search will probably yield a lot of useful info. With that said, here we go again.

All physics graduate programs in all of existence, from here to eternity are aware that scores are not reported from the November GRE until past the Dec 15th application deadline and they are all okay with this fact. Since the schools you are applying to need official scores from ETS (i.e. you can't just get your scores over the phone and then add that to your application) your only option is to ensure that you have payed for score reports to go to all of those schools with a deadline of Dec 15. Once scores are published, a report will be sent to the school and it will be added to the rest of your admissions information.
Okay. But thats about reporting the scores. What about submitting the application and that too without filling in the column for GRE scores? Can that be made after the deadline?

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Where it says on the application "what is your subject GRE score", just list it as taken in November. That's all you need. We know how the system works.

badphysicist

Post by badphysicist » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:54 pm

admissionprof wrote:Where it says on the application "what is your subject GRE score", just list it as taken in November. That's all you need. We know how the system works.
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

HappyQuark wrote:

I did try looking for the answer to this specific question using "november gre" and "submit application not knowing gre score" and both turned up nothing, so I asked directly.

I just wasn't sure if the schools wanted me to wait until the 10-13th so I can pay up more money to find out my score so I can fill that portion out on my application just like I did w/ the general gre; except I have those scores from my online ets account.

Anyway, the thread (your and admissionprof's reply) answered both my question and satyad18's so I think it was worth posting.