GPA and Graduate School Selection

RobertS

GPA and Graduate School Selection

Post by RobertS » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:10 am

Hello, I have been hearing mixed information on GPA and where it should be in order to attend a graduate school. So, I was wondering under my circumstances if I should apply to a PhD program. I am a sophomore studying Biophysics and Chemistry as a minor with a current GPA of 3.3 and in addition I currently have around a year experience in a research lab and around a half a year in a hospital. The schools that I am wanting to apply to are California Institute of Technology, University of Colorado, and Boston University are these reasonable at my current level.

HappyQuark

Re: GPA and Graduate School Selection

Post by HappyQuark » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:44 pm

RobertS wrote:Hello, I have been hearing mixed information on GPA and where it should be in order to attend a graduate school. So, I was wondering under my circumstances if I should apply to a PhD program. I am a sophomore studying Biophysics and Chemistry as a minor with a current GPA of 3.3 and in addition I currently have around a year experience in a research lab and around a half a year in a hospital. The schools that I am wanting to apply to are California Institute of Technology, University of Colorado, and Boston University are these reasonable at my current level.
BU, maybe. The other two, almost certainly not.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Check the stickied profiles threads here. You don't have to look at every post--just to a browser search/find for "CalTech" or "Colorado" and you'll skip to the relevant profiles where you can see what sorts of GPAs get in.

RobertS

Post by RobertS » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:10 am

I was wondering one other thing I have been looking into continuing on with biophysics in particular when I was looking through the grad school information I didn't see many people with this program listed would this program be harder to get into?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:16 pm

It would be significantly easier.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:33 am

RobertS wrote:I was wondering one other thing I have been looking into continuing on with biophysics in particular when I was looking through the grad school information I didn't see many people with this program listed would this program be harder to get into?
even if you intend to work in biophysics you have to compete for physics. biophysics is usually a field of research like particle or condensed and you need to get accepted to physics dept. unless they have separate program for biophysics.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:31 am

pqortic wrote:
RobertS wrote:I was wondering one other thing I have been looking into continuing on with biophysics in particular when I was looking through the grad school information I didn't see many people with this program listed would this program be harder to get into?
even if you intend to work in biophysics you have to compete for physics. biophysics is usually a field of research like particle or condensed and you need to get accepted to physics dept. unless they have separate program for biophysics.
He's talking about applying specifically to biophysics programs, not physics programs. They exist.