Impact of US economy on school selection?

yllihp

Impact of US economy on school selection?

Post by yllihp » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 am

Has California's budget crisis deterred anyone from applying to universities in california especially the UC's? I've read some bad things about the UC system (budget cuts, overcrowded classes, etc.), so now I'm having second thoughts about the UCs.

Should prospective UC students be worried about california's economic situation? Or am I over reacting?

Anyone here studying in california who can share their experiences? Has the economy really affected student life much?

WhoaNonstop

Re: Impact of US economy on school selection?

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 am

yllihp wrote:Should prospective UC students be worried about california's economic situation? Or am I over reacting?
I don't think you're over reacting. I think in comparison to other places California is having more difficulties. If I was contemplating UC schools, I would definitely not apply to all of them, and I'd definitely apply somewhere out of state as well.

-Riley

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 pm

yllihp wrote:Has California's budget crisis deterred anyone from applying to universities in california especially the UC's? I've read some bad things about the UC system (budget cuts, overcrowded classes, etc.), so now I'm having second thoughts about the UCs.

Should prospective UC students be worried about california's economic situation? Or am I over reacting?

Anyone here studying in california who can share their experiences? Has the economy really affected student life much?
Please search the forums. This exact question was asked a couple times and current UC students chimed in with how it has and has not effected their life as grad students.

badphysicist

Post by badphysicist » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:48 pm

The most recent CA budget (after waiting over half a *** year) has granted more money to the higher education system in CA, more towards the UCs rather than the CSUs. So you don't have to worry about that. And as far as deterring people from applying to grad school goes, usually economic recessions encourages more undergrads to stick in school and getting a graduate degree. So expect a little bit more competition than the direct past.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:05 pm

badphysicist wrote:So expect a little bit more competition than the direct past.
This sums up what I meant to say. Once you're in, you should be fine, I just think the programs are more difficult to get into in the first place.

-Riley