Graduate School Selection

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bcrist1

Graduate School Selection

Post by bcrist1 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Hey everyone, I have been upset over the past few weeks about what graduate schools I might be able to attend and would like to hear some input. I am currently interested in chemical physics. My GPA is relatively weak (a 3.25 out of 4) but it is low specifically because of one bad semester where I got 3 C's and an A. Over the last two semesters I have averaged a 3.6. I am currently getting a double degree in Physics and Astronomy with a minor in geophysics. I am taking the subject GRE and am scoring around the 750 to 800 area. The strong point is that I have been doing research in a geophysics lab for about a year and an AMO physics lab for 2. In my AMO lab I am sending in one paper where I am first author for review and another paper where I am second author for review before the end of this semester. I have also attended a conference in Rochester where I presented my research. I dont know if it helps but in addition to this I have been a fraternity president and an officer in my schools chapter of SPS. I know that these grades are not good enough to get me into a top school but I am trying to apply to boulder, JohnsHopkins, UMD or Austin Texas. I was wondering how much of a reach these schools will be because i honestly am afraid that my GPA will put me in bad standing. As for recommendations they should be strong from both of the professors I have worked with.

Please give me you opinion, I greatly appreciate it,
B.

kroner

Re: Graduate School Selection

Post by kroner » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:54 pm

If you have a bunch of research experience and a paper and strong recs and a good score on the PGRE I think you have a good shot at getting into one of those schools. Although important, GPA is just one piece of the application.

WhoaNonstop

Re: Graduate School Selection

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:13 pm

You have a realistic chance for all of those schools. However, as been addressed many times on this forum: Apply to SAFETY schools.

-Riley