for those who took both october and nov tests before

delsub

for those who took both october and nov tests before

Post by delsub » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:50 pm

requesting information from all members who have taken the october and also november exams in previous years -

how was the november exam different from the october - is there any pattern or theme here - do the sums get more tough conceptually or more tough solvability wise.

is it generally easier than the october test??

how to ensure a 600 in the november test - any strategies ??

isnt there supposed to be 10 minutes reading time before the exam?? we did not get it for the october test.

are there any change of patterns in content - like maybe the nov test has more from QM or less from EM vis.a.vis the october exam.

please share your knowhow with us - all those of you who have both taken the October and November exams before.

delsub

Re: for those who took both october and nov tests before

Post by delsub » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm

can no one help??

I could - but after i took this 14th's test.

in the meantime can any veteran please share any tips??

please.

kroner

Post by kroner » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:13 am

I'm pretty sure there is no consistent difference between the Oct, Nov and April test. Why would they possibly do that? There are trends in how the test has changed over the years, but that's not related to which month each test was offered in.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:07 am

I've heard some people claim that the October test was easier than November and vice versa. With that said, it seems logical that they would make the tests as equal as possible so that they can treat all scores the same during admissions and I would bet that is precisely what they try to do.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:08 am

HappyQuark wrote:I've heard some people claim that the October test was easier than November and vice versa. With that said, it seems logical that they would make the tests as equal as possible so that they can treat all scores the same during admissions and I would bet that is precisely what they try to do.
The tests were nearly equivalent. I took both of them and my scores only differed by 10 points. I think it just depends what specific questions they pull out that might seem easier to different people, but I think it's fair to say they keep it similar difficulty.

-Riley

delsub

Post by delsub » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:56 pm

well thanks.

yes i realize they got to make it as equal as possible - all 3 tests - however there could be patterns within tests of the same difficulty level.

A - for ex in the oct test so far i recall there were not many phenomena/effect/famous experiments based questions.

So i am expecting more of those this time.

B- I thought the QM portion was more difficult than any of the 4 published test. So i am expecting some regression towards the mean there too.

C - Also the thermodynamics and relativity questions were atypical vis.a.vis the patterns from the 4 published tests.

Of course there is no guarantee that there will be regression - but then if it doesnt how on earth are the tests going to be of equivalent difficulty.

Can anyone who has taken both tests recall any patterns (for ex - more/less EM in the nov test, more theoretical questions etc)

Also for those who took this october's test, can you remember any particular way the test was skewed - like points A, B and C that i listed. So we could expect some balancing acts there.