Early submission

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

hamadahoda007

Early submission

Post by hamadahoda007 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey guys,

I am just wondering if there are any advantages to submitting my applications long early before the deadline? Should I hurry up, finish my SOPs and submit the applications soon, or should I take my time and submit the application near the deadline?

pqortic

Re: Early submission

Post by pqortic » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:46 pm

if you have all the documents ready, submit the application as soon as you can. the first advantage is that you are less stressed and can focus on other schools applications and your research. in almost all application systems you can update your application before the deadline so if something new popped up, add it to your file. and also your references have more time now than when you are close to deadlines and all other students are submitting at the same time and they see tens of notifications in their inbox.

pymtab

Post by pymtab » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:31 am

Actually, I think your referees will get their emails once you update their information (that is, there is no need to actually complete the application and send it). But I didn't do it yet so i'm not sure

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:39 am

In general, being early makes life less stressful, but there's probably no real advantage to submitting the application early in terms of admission chances. Even if someone read your application early, the formal meetings where committees discuss the applications and make decisions (obviously) wouldn't be scheduled until after the deadline once all apps are collected.

So yea while it still may give you peace of mind to get it done early, there's also the chance that you realize you want to add something to your resume or SOP, or made a mistake etc, and can't change it. Finally, note that the application isn't complete until your recommenders have submitted their parts... and from experience the odds of all three profs not waiting until last minute are ~0.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:29 pm

It doesn't make much difference. If a school has a Feb. 1st deadline, then getting it there a little early might be good, since the committee probably looks over the applications before the deadline (although they usually won't make decisions until then). But if it is Jan 1st or 15th, it doesn't matter---xmas break is in the way....

ryan6

Post by ryan6 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:31 pm

on a side note (sorry for the hijack), can you alter your application in their systems after the deadline? Could I send better GRE scores in January even if the deadline has already passed?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:51 pm

ryan6 wrote:on a side note (sorry for the hijack), can you alter your application in their systems after the deadline? Could I send better GRE scores in January even if the deadline has already passed?
You can always do this, just email the admissions secretary to let them know updated scores are on the way.

hamadahoda007

Post by hamadahoda007 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks guys for the replies

Does anyone know if the recommenders receive emails asking for their LORs if I just added their information to an unsubmitted application and saved it? or do I have to submit the application so that they will be notified?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:00 pm

The system will send them an email once you register them as a recommender. Or, often there is a button to send the email once you've registered them.

kroner

Post by kroner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:30 pm

It differs among various application systems. Usually it will be pretty explicit in the instructions about what triggers an email to be sent, but you should always check with your recommenders to make sure they've received all emails they should have.