Do these books exist?

blurp

Do these books exist?

Post by blurp » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:22 pm

Hey everyone! I was told that we're only given 4 practice tests, so people won't just study the test, they'll study the material, etc. I'm wondering if there are any books that just have tons of physics GRE tests from past years, or practice tests, or whatever. And if there are those books, is their use frowned upon? Is it considered kind of cheating to use them (since I'm sure they're out there) ?

Thanks!

twistor

Re: Do these books exist?

Post by twistor » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

The only books I know of have the four officially released copies of the test. There are rumors of repositories of old GRE tests existing in other countries.

blurp

Post by blurp » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:18 pm

twistor wrote:The only books I know of have the four officially released copies of the test. There are rumors of repositories of old GRE tests existing in other countries.
Haha, that's basically what I'm talking about. My professor said when he was applying to grad schools, an Asian kid just had this huge book of old tests. I'm sure they exist, in Pakistan and China and India. Is it considered sleazy or bad to use them, if I could find them?

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Let's assume:

a) the books in question do exist
b) the residents of those countries in question have no qualms about using them

Then I say there is no harm in leveling the playing field.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 pm

blurp wrote:
twistor wrote:The only books I know of have the four officially released copies of the test. There are rumors of repositories of old GRE tests existing in other countries.
Haha, that's basically what I'm talking about. My professor said when he was applying to grad schools, an Asian kid just had this huge book of old tests. I'm sure they exist, in Pakistan and China and India. Is it considered sleazy or bad to use them, if I could find them?
Keep in mind that most test takers and faculty, Universities, etc regard the physics GRE as a formality that most people approach with a, "what tricks can I employ so as to not do any actual physics" mentality. I would imagine the prevailing opinion felt towards someone who got a hold of extra tests would be jealousy and envy.

blurp

Post by blurp » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:39 pm

So...what you're saying is, use 'em if I can find 'em?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:01 pm

What we're saying is... If you find them... You can give them to me and have jealousy and envy towards me =)

twistor

Post by twistor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:09 pm

A better idea would be to scan them and place them online.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:15 pm

twistor wrote:A better idea would be to scan them and place them online.
Make sure that if you do this however, you also place your full name somewhere on the document.