Upper div GPA

CyberShot

Upper div GPA

Post by CyberShot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm

I had a quick question.

My upper division physics GPA is 4.0, while my overall physics GPA is only 3.65. thus, i did bad in my introductory lower div courses.

Do top schools like harvard, princeton, or stanford care as much about lower div physics courses?

I'm going to be applying soon to phd programs and I'd like to know where i'm at.

Really appreciated

geshi

Re: Upper div GPA

Post by geshi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:13 pm

CyberShot

Post by CyberShot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:03 pm

well nobody answers my questions..

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:30 pm

CyberShot wrote:well nobody answers my questions..
I'm going to be a tad snarky... perhaps even down right rude for a moment. Some questions that get posted on this forum are very good and reasonable queries about the physics gre, admissions, research, etc. These questions tend to get answered relatively quickly and benefit the community. Your question was not one of these. For lack of a better word, your question was dumb and you could have easily figured it out from a bit of common sense or, if all else fails, a search of the forums. If you do well in Quantum mechanics, E&M, Relativity, Stat Mech or any of your other standard upper division coursework, then absolutely no school will be concerned if you did poorly in physics 101. After all, much of your higher level coursework would be ridiculously difficult, if not impossible, if you couldn't master the fundamentals. As such, most admissions committees will likely conclude that a poor grade in a lower div class has some reasonable explanation and likely wouldn't even bother to ask what it is. With that said, if it bothers you so much, you can always explain away this non-issue with a quick sentence in your statement of purpose.

For future reference, you will find that most members of the forum are generally only inclined to help those that help themselves.