best book for gre physics

what is the best subject phys test preparation book??

REA/purple book
No votes
practicing to take the physics test by ets
50%
u chicago grad problems in physics
25%
jack rudman - gre physics
No votes
books by barrons or peterson's or kaplan for phys gre
No votes
other test preparation book (please state what or which)
No votes
no other alternative than to read feynman 1-3
No votes
text books covering all sub-topics (not an option really)
25%

Total votes: 4

delsub

best book for gre physics

Post by delsub » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:39 pm

please answer the poll question to help me decide which book to go for. i have only 2 months in which to prepare.

i would be happy if i got 650-750. i have no higher ambitiions.

delsub

Re: best book for gre physics

Post by delsub » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:48 pm

please help me by voting or typing your feedback. i am really at a loss here as to how to start.

thank you very much.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:37 am

delsub wrote:please help me by voting or typing your feedback. i am really at a loss here as to how to start.

thank you very much.
The correct answer, specifically 'all of the above with the exception of that rotten purple nightmare', wasn't in your poll so I opted not to vote. There is no single source that you should be studying. You should do the practice exam questions to get a feel for the type of questions asked, the way in which they can and should be solved and to get the feeling of solving 100 physics problems in the 3 hours you are given. You need to study your undergrad textbooks (like Halliday, Resnick and Walker, Griffiths QM & EM, etc) because those textbooks would have been where you learned the material for the exam, and you should be seeking out additional problem sets and resources and utilizing those.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:55 pm

delsub wrote:please answer the poll question to help me decide which book to go for. i have only 2 months in which to prepare.

i would be happy if i got 650-750. i have no higher ambitiions.
If you only have 2 months and only need to score ~700, you should just go through HRW or any other introductory physics text alone with the 4 practice exams for guidance. That's all you need and the best way to prepare.

kroner

Post by kroner » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:20 pm

The practice exams can point you toward the topics you need to work on. At the level of detail you need to know the material there are a lot of options for where to turn. Personally I used textbooks I already owned for some of it, and the internet for everything else, specifically wikipedia as a jumping off point and googling for online lecture notes when wikipedia did not delve deeply enough. Once I had sufficient knowledge of a given topic, grephysics.net was helpful for providing strategies for efficiently solving those types of PGRE problems.

Slyck

Post by Slyck » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:02 am

CSET Multiple Subjects Exam Secrets, i believe is the best study guide. The thing i like most about it is the secret keys that "gives away" the right answer a lot of the time- You know the special "flags" and the specific "giveaways" to look for.