Biophysics Program

nt92

Biophysics Program

Post by nt92 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:04 am

I want to apply the PhD program about biophysics. I had the lad experience about protein purification and basic background for biology. Now I consider Northeastern, Duke, UCSF and Cornell. Could anyone give brirfly suggestion about particular school and their programs? I really appreciate it. :D

grae313

Re: Biophysics Program

Post by grae313 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Remember that if you want to do biophysics research and be trained as a biophysicist, you don't need a biophysics program. The two top names in single molecule biophysics are Steve Block in Stanford's applied physics department and Carlos Bustamante in Berkeley's physics department. I do biophysics research at Cornell out of the physics department. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the research and/or program here.

appliedphysics

Re: Biophysics Program

Post by appliedphysics » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:13 pm

I agree. You don't have to do biophysics to be a biophysicist. Biophysics is a subdiscipline of Applied Physics which is a subdiscipline or Physical Sciences that is to include Pure and Applied Physics. Harvard has many good professor doing research in biological physics as well. Indeed, Steven Block's advisor Howard Berg is at Harvard, and many other distinguished professors. You can apply to Harvard Physics, Harvard Applied Physics, and Harvard Biophysics programs. Biological Physics research is offered in all three departments. If your background is Applied Math, Math, or Pure Physics, then apply to Harvard Physics. If your background is Applied Physics, Physics, or any hardcore technology or applied science discipline and have done research in an applied scientific area, then apply to Applied Physics. If are from a biology, chemistry, or computer science background, apply to Biophysics program.