ETS Personal Potential Index

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

InquilineKea

ETS Personal Potential Index

Post by InquilineKea » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Has anyone used this service yet? Do any schools ask for it yet? If they don't ask for it, can you send PPI scores anyways?

quark314

Re: ETS Personal Potential Index

Post by quark314 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm not familiar with that service, but it disgusts me on principle that ETS would suggest it can assess an individual's "personal potential."

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:32 pm

the service works in this way: you provide 6 references (not necessarily all academic) in your GRE registration profile webpage and then they are provided with a link to complete a survey about your personality, skill and ... this service is going to substitute for the recommendation letters.

and then you can report the results to universities "$20 each". I don't like this.
ETS has mentioned that this tool is good for applicants who could not perform well in standardized tests. as far as I know none of the universities asks for this report because the rely on the rec letters yet.

Quantum Triviality

Post by Quantum Triviality » Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 am

I just applied to physics grad schools. No one asked for it.

Is it useful? Probably not. Physics professors want to see letters of recommendation from physics, they don't care so much what other professors think. So I think if you did submit it, it would just be ignored.

Maybe someday in the future it will be required, but I doubt it.