Summer before grad school

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

notnaps

Summer before grad school

Post by notnaps » Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 pm

What is everyone doing during their summer before starting graduate school?

I'm not sure if most people are kind of floating in limbo for a couple of months like me, or if a lot of people are doing research/something productive. I don't really have anything planned for the summer. I want to take it easy, but also do something personally enriching if at all possible.

AO

Re: Summer before grad school

Post by AO » Tue May 11, 2010 4:12 am

I'm finishing my job in 2 weeks and heading directly to Yosemite for a couple months of rock climbing. I'm incredibly excited about going to madison next year, but also a little depressed about being away from the mountiains.

Productive? I'm just looking forward to having as much fun as possible before my life becomes exclusively about physics. I recommend you all do the same.

J

mobytish

Post by mobytish » Tue May 11, 2010 6:53 am

I'm going to Europe for 5 weeks for a summer research program with one of the professors from my new grad school. Then, the day I fly back to the states, I head to a summer camp where I'm a staff member. I have to do a write-up of my research too, so I'm in no shortage of physics-related work this summer. At least it'll keep me busy, though, because I'm already impatient to start my program.

golick2000

Post by golick2000 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:40 pm

WOW! Guys, envy you all!
Though I have done my M.S.thesis last summer (even first-author Phys.Rev.Lett. article in my pocket :]) and this June I will receive that M.S., I have to work hard as on the 30th of August MIT (my grad school) is carrying out first required doctoral examination :'( sounds no positive

ryan6

Post by ryan6 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Arent there personal interest that got pushed to side while in preparation for grad school? I know that as soon as I am accepted somewhere, Ill be very busy tackling that long list (literally a list) of video games released for the past two years that I never had time to play. Or fiction books that im interested in, or tackling a few computer science texts just to check it out. Hmmm, maybe Ill shot for the stars and try for a social life :roll: Seems to me like after getting a degree in physics, there would be plenty of other interests that have been relegated to a summer like that which could easily fill the free time

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:24 pm

It's your last summer free for the next five to seven years. You can use it like a nerd and start studying for your quals or doing research at your new or old school, or you can use it like a champ and do something awesome. Can you guys guess which I root for?

ultraballer2000

Post by ultraballer2000 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:19 pm

Starcraft 2

kroner

Post by kroner » Wed May 12, 2010 1:32 am

A professor from my new school emailed me and asked if I wanted to work for him during the summer. I don't know if the stuff he works on is exactly what I want to end up focusing on but I'm not complaining, since if that hadn't happened I'd probably just sit around. And maybe it'll be the most awesome topic I've ever seen and I'll fall in love with it.

I'm hoping I'll still have some time for Starcraft 2.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Wed May 12, 2010 4:27 am

I went hiking in Peru for a month -- it was a blast.

I agree with grae313. Be a champ and do something awesome. Not that it's impossible to do awesome trips later in grad school, but it's certainly harder when you need your adviser's approval.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:08 am

Will be studying and brushing up physics for the 19th Aug Preliminary exams and also hone up my Fortran skills.. :)

Quantum Triviality

Post by Quantum Triviality » Thu May 20, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm traveling for two months, which leaves me a month to study for the quals.

I figure it is the last time I can get two whole months off for a very long time (until I earn a sabbatical? retirement?).

wmwolf

Post by wmwolf » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:09 pm

I'm going from a semester calendar school to a quarter calendar school, so I find myself with a lot of time. I found a bogus quart-time job and am living a nice lazy summer life. Occasionally I plan to study some classical mechanics as my UG training was quite lacking.

Also Starcraft 2.

theoretical_phys

Post by theoretical_phys » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:37 pm

My job is physics related (I am a temporary scientist at Fermilab), but I am planning to have as much fun as possible before I head to grad school. I'm visiting my boyfriend in London for 9 days and we are going to be visiting the university I'll be attending in the Fall as well as taking a trip to Brighton to enjoy the pebble beach. Then I'm helping my brother move to his new flat in Iowa. And I'm definitely planning to go to Lollapalooza in Chicago to listen to some great music with an old high school friend. And lastly, I'm visiting friends and my undergraduate professors in New Orleans along with my parents.\

All in all, I think it should be a nice Summer. Attempting to relax and enjoy as much as possible.