Bad record. What range of schools?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

centrum

Bad record. What range of schools?

Post by centrum » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:33 pm

I finshed an undergrad degree in chemistry a few years ago with a far from stellar performance. I will finish a physics degree in a couple of months. I want to apply to PhD programs in the fall. I suppose a master's may be a better idea, but if I was going to apply to PhD programs, what range of schools should I look at? Here are my stats:

physics gpa: exactly 3.1 got an F in a gen physics class
and a C in math methods. The rest have been A's and B's with A's in the core
classes.

overall gpa: 2.9. 4 F's. A few D's.

In regards to GPA, I've received nothing less than a B since my chem degree was finished. About a 3.7 GPA.

I've worked in engineering full time since I first graduated.

I've done research in cm and have 1 first author publication.

I should have a few good recs.

PGRE: 820
Q: 800

Ft437w

Re: Bad record. What range of schools?

Post by Ft437w » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:32 am

There a number of "sticky" threads at the top of this forum in which people post their grades/scores as well as where they applied and got in. Make use of them.

joeleitz

Post by joeleitz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:05 pm

A matrix or grid of results from actual students would be some very valuable info and lots of us would love to see it..

Is there any way to start something like that so it self-generates?

:)

mobytish

Post by mobytish » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:53 pm

joeleitz wrote:A matrix or grid of results from actual students would be some very valuable info and lots of us would love to see it..

Is there any way to start something like that so it self-generates?

:)
This basically exists in the Results section of this webpage, but not everyone updates their profile in this area, so there's not always a whole lot of info. It depends on the school.