UIUC...

tdk333

UIUC...

Post by tdk333 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Anyone else still waiting for the reply of Urbana? I emailed them last week and they told me they were still in the reviewing process.

I really think it is really rude from their part not having sent any rejections to people they will definitely not admit even though next week is the final week (at least I have not seen posted any rejections from them). Does anyone know if they do this every year?

physics_auth

Re: UIUC...

Post by physics_auth » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:22 pm

tdk333 wrote:Anyone else still waiting for the reply of Urbana? I emailed them last week and they told me they were still in the reviewing process.

I really think it is really rude from their part not having sent any rejections to people they will definitely not admit even though next week is the final week (at least I have not seen posted any rejections from them). Does anyone know if they do this every year?
All this stance on their part far from being rude is extremely irritating. Some people may hope that because of no rejection message they have some logical probability though small, to become admitted there, but this line of thought may finally prove very far off the mark! The secretary of the department is not at all helpful, not being able to give a hint about the destiny of one's application, and the graduate program coordinator seems too busy to respond to our anguish! Therefore, it might be better and wiser to decide which school to attend without counting on UIUC's decision, even if that school is a primary choice for somebody. Just think that there is no guarantee that they continue application reviews. We don't know how many slots are left vacant for the dozens of applicants out there who didn't hear from UIUC. How probable is it that someone of us (who didn't hear from them so far) will receive an offer from them just one day before the deadline? Last but not least, if there are any people waitlisted (I came accross only one such person in the 2010 profiles), then they are the next to fill the vacant slots, if any, and the rest of us will have been waiting completely in vain ... .

tdk333

Re: UIUC...

Post by tdk333 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:53 pm

physics_auth wrote:
tdk333 wrote:Anyone else still waiting for the reply of Urbana? I emailed them last week and they told me they were still in the reviewing process.

All this stance on their part far from being rude is extremely irritating. Some people may hope that because of no rejection message they have some logical probability though small, to become admitted there, but this line of thought may finally prove very far off the mark! The secretary of the department is not at all helpful, not being able to give a hint about the destiny of one's application, and the graduate program coordinator seems too busy to respond to our anguish! Therefore, it might be better and wiser to decide which school to attend without counting on UIUC's decision, even if that school is a primary choice for somebody. Just think that there is no guarantee that they continue application reviews. We don't know how many slots are left vacant for the dozens of applicants out there who didn't hear from UIUC. How probable is it that someone of us (who didn't hear from them so far) will receive an offer from them just one day before the deadline? Last but not least, if there are any people waitlisted (I came accross only one such person in the 2010 profiles), then they are the next to fill the vacant slots, if any, and the rest of us will have been waiting completely in vain ... .
Yes, I agree with you. I am myself ready to go to IUB and I am just waiting (but not realistically expecting them) on possible last minute offers from my top choices (UMD and UIUC). But still, who knows, some of us might end up getting lucky (I remember having browsed last year's admitions and seen some people get offer of admissions at least from UMD).