Halliday and Resnick text for Physics GRE?

cooper

Halliday and Resnick text for Physics GRE?

Post by cooper » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:45 pm

I am using Young and Freedman’s (formerly Sears and Zemansky’s) University Physics to study for the Physics GRE. A lot of people on this site are saying Halliday and Resnick is better. Do they mean Halliday/Resnick/Walker Fundamentals of Physics (Seventh Edition)?

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Phys ... 110&sr=1-1

I have University of Physics so I decided to use that instead of the highly touted Halliday and Resnick book. I figured the differences between texts are probably minimal. I noticed, however, that a number of questions on practice test 0177 are not covered by the University Physics text (for example, to answer question 8 on practice test 0177 I needed to use Griffiths E & M). Is it true, as everyone seems to think, that I would be able to answer more questions on one of the GRE practice tests if I use Halliday and Resnick instead of University Physics? I was thinking of spending a lot of time between now and October (or maybe I will take the November exam, if one is offered then) studying University Physics. But if Halliday and Resnick is really better, maybe I will get one of those books from amazon.com (some of the used books are being sold for a very low price). Thanks.

kz205

Re: Halliday and Resnick text for Physics GRE?

Post by kz205 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:38 am

Young and Freedman was the recommended text in my British uni and I read it quite thoroughly for my first and second year core topics. I thought it was a pretty decent book until I discovered Resnick and Halliday. Personally, I found Resnick and Halliday far more concise with clearer explanations and also that it seemed to have more of the necessary material. By the way, I used Young and Freedman for my first go at the GRE, scored 740, then switched to Resnick and Halliday for my next try half a year later and upped my score to 820. But of course, I think my score increase could also be due to a number of other factors(e.g. repeated questions).

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:38 pm

For the most part, all of the general introductory physics texts have about the same material. Unless money is not an issue, just use what you have and it won't be a problem.

cooper

Post by cooper » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:51 am

grae313 wrote:For the most part, all of the general introductory physics texts have about the same material. Unless money is not an issue, just use what you have and it won't be a problem.
I think you're right. I found the Halliday and Resnick book in my local library, it doesn't seem anymore helpful than University Physics. And the more I study, the more I am realizing that I can answer almost all of the questions on practice test 0177 with University Physics.

Wish me luck Jessica, I am going to study really, really hard. I intend to do better on the Physics GRE than you did :) . You clearly beat me on everything else with your 780 on the Quantitative and your 3.9 GPA. I need to be better than you at something :) .

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:30 pm

cooper wrote:Wish me luck Jessica, I am going to study really, really hard. I intend to do better on the Physics GRE than you did :) . You clearly beat me on everything else with your 780 on the Quantitative and your 3.9 GPA. I need to be better than you at something :) .
Lol, good luck. And I go by Jessie. Just remember, you may be able to beat my PGRE score, but you will never best my minesweeper expert best time of 71 seconds!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:05 pm

grae313 wrote: Lol, good luck. And I go by Jessie. Just remember, you may be able to beat my PGRE score, but you will never best my minesweeper expert best time of 71 seconds!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
Does it help in the application? I didn't mention mine anywhere. :lol:

cooper

Post by cooper » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:56 am

grae313 wrote: Lol, good luck. And I go by Jessie. Just remember, you may be able to beat my PGRE score, but you will never best my minesweeper expert best time of 71 seconds!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
You have got to be kidding me!!!! Expert setting? That's when the game gets really big and there are 99 bombs. The best I ever did on expert was just under 200 seconds!! Are you sure you're talking about expert? If you are, all I can say is "Wow!".

Is there anything you're not much better than me at? Silly question, of course there isn't.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:02 pm

cooper wrote:
You have got to be kidding me!!!! Expert setting? That's when the game gets really big and there are 99 bombs. The best I ever did on expert was just under 200 seconds!! Are you sure you're talking about expert? If you are, all I can say is "Wow!".

Is there anything you're not much better than me at? Silly question, of course there isn't.
The world records for expert are in the 30's of seconds, so once again I'm very good at a lot of things, but far from being the best. I was actually making fun of your ridiculous competitiveness... Who gives a flying *** if you beat my PGRE score or if you are better than me at things?

WontonBurritoMeals

Post by WontonBurritoMeals » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:11 am

Grae I started to play Freecell after hearing your rediculous record of 30something wins and I smashed it with 55 consecutive wins.

So even *I* am better than you @ something...

May the wind be always at your back,
-WontonBurritoMeals

cooper

Post by cooper » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:41 am

WontonBurritoMeals wrote:Grae I started to play Freecell after hearing your rediculous record of 30something wins and I smashed it with 55 consecutive wins.

-WontonBurritoMeals
Maybe I need to start eating Burritos?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:26 pm

WontonBurritoMeals wrote:Grae I started to play Freecell after hearing your rediculous record of 30something wins and I smashed it with 55 consecutive wins.

-WontonBurritoMeals
Uh... check again. My record was 64 wins :P FAIL! MUAHAHAHAHAHAA!

WontonBurritoMeals

Post by WontonBurritoMeals » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:48 am

='(

-WontonBurritoMeals

cooper

Post by cooper » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:02 am

WontonBurritoMeals wrote:='(

-WontonBurritoMeals
Don't feel bad WontonBurritoMeals. I think I finally figured grae out, I think she's really a Jedi Knight. That would explain why she's so good at everything. In fact she probably purposely got a 780 on the Quantitative instead of an 800 so we wouldn't figure out the the truth about her. Fortunately, I am smart enough (or maybe just delusional enough) to have figured out the truth about her.
Last edited by cooper on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

cooper

Post by cooper » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:07 am

grae313 wrote:

-WontonBurritoMeals
Uh... check again. My record was 64 wins :P FAIL! MUAHAHAHAHAHAA!
On the other hand, that laugh makes me wonder if she isn't really a sith lord. Oh no, I hope she isn't planning on seducing me into becoming her apprentice. Darth Cooper doesn't even sound that fearsome.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:27 am

cooper wrote:Darth Cooper doesn't even sound that fearsome.
Sorry it's not better, I'm in a rush this morning :) Here ya go...

cooper

Post by cooper » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:52 pm

Oh Jessie, that is sooooo cute :) . Darth Coopa looks like an even bigger nerd than me :) (assuming that’s even possible).

By the way, everyone who knows me is in agreement that if I were ever trained to be a Jedi I would most probably fall to the dark side in record time :lol: .

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:45 pm

Which one of these is better for the PGRE?

"Fundamentals of physics by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker"

vs

"Physics Volume 1 (and 2) by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane"

Or does it really not matter that much? Volumes 1 and 2 are generally more difficult than "fundamentals of physics", but they share many of the same problems. But the harder problems of Volume 1 and 2 would probably would be too long to be on the Physics GRE, right?

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:30 pm

InquilineKea wrote:Which one of these is better for the PGRE?

"Fundamentals of physics by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker"

vs

"Physics Volume 1 (and 2) by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane"

Or does it really not matter that much? Volumes 1 and 2 are generally more difficult than "fundamentals of physics", but they share many of the same problems. But the harder problems of Volume 1 and 2 would probably would be too long to be on the Physics GRE, right?
Honestly, there probably won't be much a difference between the two text books. I don't have any significant experience with Physics Vol. 1 & 2 but most introductory texts are similar enough that you won't get a major advantage from one or the other. Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker just happens to be the canonical introductory physics text, meaning it is the one that the majority of people have at hand.

kroner

Post by kroner » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:12 am

I think any textbook you use to prepare for the test has primary value as a tool to improve your general understanding of the material rather than as a source of exercises that are directly comparable to test questions.

modernphysics

Post by modernphysics » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:09 pm

hi friends, i was looking for this question and a lil bit happy now. actually i have the halliday, resnick and krane version . so is it ok guys.

palitre

Post by palitre » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:33 am

Halliday Resnick Krane Vol 2 5th edition ebook. Not the solution manual, the actual ebook. Can anyone link me to the correct torrent file? Thanks.

quphas

Post by quphas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:39 pm

modernphysics wrote:hi friends, i was looking for this question and a lil bit happy now. actually i have the halliday, resnick and krane version . so is it ok guys.
"Physics Volume 1 (and 2) by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane" 5ed
It's the best!
Its multiple choices are really good.

sijils

Post by sijils » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:52 pm

So which is bettet
halliday resnick walker
or
halliday resnick walker extended edition
or halliday walker krane

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:03 pm

sijils wrote:So which is bettet
halliday resnick walker
or
halliday resnick walker extended edition
or halliday walker krane
Whichever introductory physics book you have is the best. There isn't much of a difference.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:54 am

Halliday, Resnick, and Zombies.