Programs still accepting applications?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

physicscoder

Programs still accepting applications?

Post by physicscoder » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:02 am

I'm graduating in May with a Physics major with Math and Astrophysics minors from a top 100 school. I have a strong programming background(C++,SQL,PERL,PHP,etc..) because I've worked as a physics programmer for the past 3 years for a defense contracting company while also going to school. My GPA is less then optimal (3.3) and my GRES are Q:700 V:500 P:600. So far I've been rejected by 2 of the 6 schools I applied to (no acceptances yet :shock: ). I'm worried that I will only get accepted into the school where I did my undergrad at.

My question to you guys is: are there physics programs still accepting applications? I'm interested in computational, astro, particle, and nuclear programs. Let me know!

mobytish

Re: Programs still accepting applications?

Post by mobytish » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:43 am

A lot of schools claim that they will continuing accepting applications until all spots are filled. Unless it's a top or semi-top school, you may still have a chance. However, I'd recommend contacting the schools yourself. I'm not sure any of us would really know.

I'd also consider starting to search for year-long internships or temporary jobs. I saw a few earlier this year when I was looking, though they weren't in my field of interest. I think AIP may have a list of places that hire Bachelors of Physics; I'd recommend starting there. A lot of these positions may have an application deadline and it's better to apply early and get into grad school anyway than wait to apply and lose your chance.

physicscoder

Post by physicscoder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:11 pm

I just got accepted into Colorado State University today, so I guess I don't have to worry anymore!

meggo

Post by meggo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:58 pm

physicscoder wrote:I just got accepted into Colorado State University today, so I guess I don't have to worry anymore!
Congratulations! :)