TAMU vs UF

blackcat007

TAMU vs UF

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:03 am

With the remaining schools yet to reply, some of which seems totally beyond my reach, I am left with two choices.
University of Florida and Texas A&M University.
After searching through their websites for quite sometime and asking their grad students about their program, I finally come to you guys for your feedback and suggestions.

My interest in decreasing order: HEP-Th ->Th-Cosmo -> HEP Exp
A point about TAMU: I couldn't find anyone interested in cosmology theory. (correct me if I am wrong) So incase my interest shifts towards that after 2 yrs, I will be in a problem.
Both the schools' graduate students seemed quite happy about their program.
Both are giving me quite enough financial support.
Both the cities Gainesville and College Station are small cities which I believe will be to my advantage since less distractions will be there.

Anyone who has visited these grad schools or may be knowing about them.. kindly share. Any further advices are also welcome.

newt11

Re: TAMU vs UF

Post by newt11 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:53 am

I have one friend in UFl physics department. He tells UFL is a very reputable university in US. After graduation I think you can either find a post doc position ( probably your case) or a job in nation easily. And it seems the quality of education is realy good. ( Im assuming you already looked to the prof's profiles; preleminary exams; graduate courses;..)The Department is very large ; alot of graduate students. As you said if you re obsessed wity studying cosmology then you will try to find a comparison between two by means of your research opportunities there.

Continueing with the things I heard from my friend....

Gainesville is a college town. The weather is nice; HOT( if you like hot weathers)
all the things ;cafes; restaurants;bars there; 1 hour drive to both beaches ( west and east coasts)

Living in Gainseville is cheap ( ~ 250$ rent for 1 in 4 bedroom houses.)

Sorry I dont know anything about TAMU.
Maybe the next person after me will just tell sth about TAMU.

And congratulations!

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:42 am

newt11 wrote:I have one friend in UFl physics department. He tells UFL is a very reputable university in US. After graduation I think you can either find a post doc position ( probably your case) or a job in nation easily. And it seems the quality of education is realy good. ( Im assuming you already looked to the prof's profiles; preleminary exams; graduate courses;..)The Department is very large ; alot of graduate students. As you said if you re obsessed wity studying cosmology then you will try to find a comparison between two by means of your research opportunities there.

Continueing with the things I heard from my friend....

Gainesville is a college town. The weather is nice; HOT( if you like hot weathers)
all the things ;cafes; restaurants;bars there; 1 hour drive to both beaches ( west and east coasts)

Living in Gainseville is cheap ( ~ 250$ rent for 1 in 4 bedroom houses.)

Sorry I dont know anything about TAMU.
Maybe the next person after me will just tell sth about TAMU.

And congratulations!
Thanks! Hey that was really a nice set of info :)

Some_guy

Post by Some_guy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:36 pm

Please take my comment with a grain of salt, but as a person still hoping to hear good news from A&M (my gf's got an acceptance and my interests are very much in line with ALL of their astrophysics professors) I'm going to vouch for you to accepts UFs offer! :wink: