Any Intl got in any UC school?

blackcat007

Any Intl got in any UC school?

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:57 pm

I got a rejection from UCSC just now, on inquiry one of the prof, whom I had contacted, replied :

I do not know, but I strongly suspect that it is due to an extremely vexing issue that we have here at University of California. Specifically, a US citizen who spends 1 year in California becomes a California resident. At this time their graduate tuition and fees become very inexpensive. However, students from other countries cannot become CA citizens (at least not in a short period of time), which makes them *much* more expensive to have as part of the graduate program. Currently UC is in a terrible budget crisis, and costs are being contained everywhere they can be. I would actually be surprised if *any* foreign students were admitted. I (and many of my colleagues) think this is a terrible system that causes us to miss out on some of the best students simply because they are not US citizens. There is an effort to change it, but for now it remains and is likely to do so until the University's finances improve. So, please do not be dejected or take this personally, and I do wish you the best in your other applications and graduate possibilities.

is this the standard generic reply?
this really stinks.. :cry:
sooo irritating.. :x

ddubs

Re: Any Intl got in any UC school?

Post by ddubs » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Seems odd to me that (at least at SD, LA, and Berk) UC physics departments are essentially standalone and externally funded, but they are being affected so drastically by the CA budget crisis...

YellowXDart

Post by YellowXDart » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:50 pm

I have one friend who is currently a grad student at Berkeley for physics. She said that the graduate program there has not be affected at all by the budget crisis, although it has created a lot of problems for the undergrads. I have another friend who is a Chinese citizen, although educated in the U.S., and he's been accepted into Berkeley.

Maxos

Post by Maxos » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:59 pm

A friend of mine accepted by UCSC

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:20 pm

Agree, but the response might be specific to the department blackcat is applying. I also thought there will be similar problems with EE dept for UCSD but I know a few International students (from India) were admitted in February while few domestic students are waiting to hear from the department.

fc_pga

Post by fc_pga » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:02 am

Got accepted (officially) to UCSB today - a nice surprise since I read here that they are not accepting internationals this year in another thread.

The fact that I got an RA position probably also helps, since unlike TA, RA funding is not state/federal money.

andale

Post by andale » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:01 am

It would be very useful to know if any international student who got accepted in any UC has external funding. I know a student from my country who got accepted in UCSB and many other prestigious US universities, but he had an external scholarship, which covers most of the expenses. I applied without external funding at all (I have 1 publication in PRE, I was the top student in my class, I have good recs and good scores in the GRE), and not only I was rejected from UCB and probably from UCSD too, but I feel that I was VERY FAR from being accepted. I think that the US universities just don't have resources to provide funding for external students...

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:26 pm

andale wrote:It would be very useful to know if any international student who got accepted in any UC has external funding.
Hmm thats an interesting thought.. it could be the reason.
I think that the US universities just don't have resources to provide funding for external students...
I think you meant UC instead of US :)

ddubs

Post by ddubs » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:20 pm

I know first-hand that Berkeley physics has enough external funding to do whatever they want. I recently spoke to a professor at UCLA who said the same thing. Granted, these are probably the most well funded UCs overall, so I can't speak for the others as factually, but most physics departments are very well funded externally and should not be affected by the budget crisis in CA.

andale

Post by andale » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:53 pm

yep, UC :P

fc_pga

Post by fc_pga » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:14 pm

andale wrote:It would be very useful to know if any international student who got accepted in any UC has external funding. I know a student from my country who got accepted in UCSB and many other prestigious US universities, but he had an external scholarship, which covers most of the expenses. I applied without external funding at all (I have 1 publication in PRE, I was the top student in my class, I have good recs and good scores in the GRE), and not only I was rejected from UCB and probably from UCSD too, but I feel that I was VERY FAR from being accepted. I think that the US universities just don't have resources to provide funding for external students...
I, for one, got an UCSB offer without external funding; however, as I pointed out, this is probably due to the fact that the research group I will join has enough money to hire me as an RA. TA-ship is a totally different animal.

UCSD is only accepting three international students this year (I guess it means acceptance based on TA funding), according to an extremely reliable source.

Alesonny

Post by Alesonny » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:31 pm

I am an Italian student and I had an offer from UCSB, which I accepted.
I think the decisive factor for the success was that my future supervisor decided to cover my tuition with his (~his group) research funds.

rims

Post by rims » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 pm