Interaction with Rice University

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

betelgeuse1

Interaction with Rice University

Post by betelgeuse1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:07 am

Did that happen to some of you? I've sent my application materials by post to Rice University at the address they gave to me. I checked on the USPS tracking system and they said they arrived in time. Suddenly I received an e-mail from the person responsible with the applications telling me that they received nothing. I tried to analyze this and I've sent the tracking number to that person. She answered very angry that she received "NOTHING" and she does not "LOSE APPLICATIONS" the uppercase are hers... :?
I've sent the docs again and I asked if my materials arrived now and she told me there are 3 recommendations, but that was not my question, I was asking about the transcripts... Now, I've asked if my application is complete because on their site there is something unclear and I received an answer like "Applications are still being reviewed"...
Now, I don't know what to say but in my opinion communication with the Physics dept. at Rice is somehow difficult for me...

bubba_bones

Re: Interaction with Rice University

Post by bubba_bones » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Does someone has any updates from Rice University ??

They seem to have sent very few offers 3 weeks back and there have been absolutely no news from them since !!

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:10 pm

All I have is this e-mail on 2/17
"Applications are still being reviewed."
STOP!

bubba_bones

Post by bubba_bones » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:18 pm

It seems to me as if Rice has sent very few acceptances this year..

So. i have been hoping.. that they will come up with second wave of acceptances

My last interaction with Rice was this :

" the file is on "hold" pending a final decision"
"You will be notified when a final decision has been made. Final decisions are expected to be made by the beginning of April."

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 pm

my only reaction to that is "boooooo"!
After losing my file and saying that the applications that arrive "late" are given less consideration I really don't have much to talk about them... :(

bubba_bones

Post by bubba_bones » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:30 pm

@betelgeuse:
I had a similar problem with Rice Univ. The lady initially could not locate my transcript..
But.. on being provided the details of courier service.. she located it in a different file with a similar name

Also, she was quite friendly with her emails...

I am surprised she was so rude to you...
May be you can write to Graduate Advisor, the professor , and explain to him your situation....
Hoping it helps !

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:27 pm

bubba_bones wrote:@betelgeuse:
I had a similar problem with Rice Univ. The lady initially could not locate my transcript..
But.. on being provided the details of courier service.. she located it in a different file with a similar name

Also, she was quite friendly with her emails...

I am surprised she was so rude to you...
May be you can write to Graduate Advisor, the professor , and explain to him your situation....
Hoping it helps !
Don't write anyone. They are reviewing your application and the more you pester them, the harder you are making it on yourself and them.

geshi

Post by geshi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Rice has an Open House coming up in 2 weekends from now. I imagine a bunch of people will be making their decision after they visit.

mike164

Post by mike164 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:01 pm

bubba_bones wrote:It seems to me as if Rice has sent very few acceptances this year..

So. i have been hoping.. that they will come up with second wave of acceptances

My last interaction with Rice was this :

" the file is on "hold" pending a final decision"
"You will be notified when a final decision has been made. Final decisions are expected to be made by the beginning of April."
I sent an e-mail to her last week and got a similar response. She clearly mentioned that my application has been reviewed and it is pending further consideration. So far, I have not heard any international students getting a decision from them. May be they are following a policy similar to that of UT Austin where admission decisions to international students are made only after hearing back from domestic students.

bubba_bones

Post by bubba_bones » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:27 am

mike164 wrote: So far, I have not heard any international students getting a decision from them. May be they are following a policy similar to that of UT Austin where admission decisions to international students are made only after hearing back from domestic students.
Noticed an International accepted to Rice yesterday on Grad Cafe.

Hoping he/she would post his/her complete profile in this forum .