the admission humor

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

betelgeuse1

the admission humor

Post by betelgeuse1 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 pm

The world record on ambiguous answers! Look what NYU told me:

"Admission decisions are generally made by mid-March.Depending on the admission decision, you will hear from our Graduate School by email or conventional mail."

Now, if the choice of e-mail or conventional mail is made depending on the decision then if I'll see a NYU letter in my mailbox I should think it's a rejection/admission and if I'll see an e-mail I should know there is a admission/rejection... or reversely...
:shock: :arrow: :|

Maxos

Re: the admission humor

Post by Maxos » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:28 pm

betelgeuse1 wrote:The world record on ambiguous answers! Look what NYU told me:

"Admission decisions are generally made by mid-March.Depending on the admission decision, you will hear from our Graduate School by email or conventional mail."

Now, if the choice of e-mail or conventional mail is made depending on the decision then if I'll see a NYU letter in my mailbox I should think it's a rejection/admission and if I'll see an e-mail I should know there is a admission/rejection... or reversely...
:shock: :arrow: :|
mmmmm, let's see....

yes... quite likely they send rejections via regular mail along with a charming drawing of the applicant being kicked by the admissions committee, ahahahh

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:02 pm

my experience says rejections come with regular mail. but sometimes they send the rejections in both ways to emphasize...

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 am

Yesterday I understood what they actually meant when I received their rejection email. In the application we had to mention somewhere the means by which we would prefer our decisions to be sent ie. either snail mail or email. most of us chose email. and thats how we got our official decision in email.