Retake PGRE or Enroll in graduate classes

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

sravanskarri

Retake PGRE or Enroll in graduate classes

Post by sravanskarri » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Now that I am almost finished with my rejections for Fall 2010. I am wondering if I should consider retaking & preparing for PGRE or enroll in few graduate classes in Physics. My research interests are in engineering aspects of Quantum Systems and Control. Since the area requires strong physics back ground I attempted PGRE with some preparation in Quantum Mechanics etc based on self-study, previous exposure to physics and ended up with a 660. I believe there is room for improvement there. Also, I think taking a few graduate courses in QMech/Quantum electro dynamics would also help me in the future. However, I have a full time job (40hrs/week) and find it difficult to accommodate both my intentions.

Can some one help me please pick which option would be a better one to prioritize/pursue in the future. You can fnd my profile in 'Profiles thread' for further info ( I was shooting for big schools as I some what like my job and was prepared to take courses and wait for few years to get into a good department). Thanks in advance for the help.

arieszen

Re: Retake PGRE or Enroll in graduate classes

Post by arieszen » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 pm

since you have completed your MS, it would make sense to retake PGRE. your profile is quite good though harvard etc probably expect more. Also you've done your MS from United States, that should definitely work in your favour if you choose your schools wisely. If your job is related to your field of ineterest i suggest you continue, if not, and you are very keen on pursuing PhD, take up a few more courses. BUT do not retake the pgre if you don't quit your job because in my opinion a score lower than 660 in ur second try could make things worse. On the other hand a good score will make all the difference.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:06 pm

put graduate courses for graduate school time and concentrate on getting into your favorite program. retaking the PGRE is a good choice but get prepared for it wisely. advanced quantum mechanics has nothing to do with PGRE.

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Thanks guys.Appreciate it. The job i do is related to my earlier field(more into wireless communication systems), I have no plans of quitting it as I would run into VISA issues. As you guys suggested cracking PGRE should be my first priority followed by taking few grad courses. 8)