MIT or Princeton for graduate theoretical Physics???

golick2000

MIT or Princeton for graduate theoretical Physics???

Post by golick2000 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:01 pm

I am an international student. Have already been admitted with named fellowship to MIT as well as to Princeton with fellowship. (I do not seriously consider Columbia, Cornell and Wisconsin where I've been admitted with fellowships)
Which one is better for grad theoretical physics (specifically condensed matter Physics)?
The rating difference is just 0.1 (MIT 5.0, Princeton 4.9)according to usnews ranking.
Looking forward to any recommendations!

mobytish

Re: MIT or Princeton for graduate theoretical Physics???

Post by mobytish » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Have you already declined your offers to those other three schools to make way for others?

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Well I could be wrong but I always though that for condensed matter physics Cornell was the place to go. MIT and Princeton are both great school, at this point it's just a matter of which school is the best fit for you. Look at the professors at both places and decide which school contains the professors who's research you like best. To be honest, I thought that someone admitted at Princeton and MIT would know that ;)

golick2000

Post by golick2000 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:28 pm

Well, I have already declined offers from Cornell and Wisconsin.
I want to go to one of three schools - Princeton, MIT or Harvard (still waiting for response).
Harvard is still to come and that be another tough choice...
Difficult choice..

bibimbop

Post by bibimbop » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:35 pm

jumping on the "which school for theory?" bandwagon-- I'm juggling Harvard, Berkeley, Caltech, and Cornell for theoretical astrophysics... any insight/opinions are welcome

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:42 pm

This is another matter in which international students really get the short end of the stick, because at this point I think visiting the university is invaluable and the trip for internationals is too expensive for the university to fully cover (though most will reimburse you the $500 or so that they reimburse domestic applicants). As an example, I was choosing between Berkeley and Cornell for CME, and there was a very well-known professor at each that I was interested in working with. Upon visiting, it was immediately clear to me who I would rather work for and that ended up being a very large factor in my decision. For domestic applicants, you really have to visit, talk to the graduate students of the people you are interested in working with and talk with the professors as well. Ask lots of questions, and you will get a really good impression of which environment you would prefer. If visiting is not an option, I would recommend calling or emailing professors you are interested in working with, and get in touch with their graduate students as well. The good news is, although the decision feels excruciating, you can't really go wrong at this point so count your blessings! :)