Admitted but no invitation for visit

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

theoryl

Admitted but no invitation for visit

Post by theoryl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi, I'm an international student. I wonder if I can visit the grad schools that have made me offers but not invitations for visit? I would like to see the campus and its surrounding before I make a decision... If yes, is it possible to ask them to subsidize some part of the travel expenses? although I am willing to pay for my own air fares if they don't want to.

Cheers,
Last edited by theoryl on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mataka

Re: Admitted but no invitation for visit

Post by Mataka » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Why don't you just ask them ?

Ryalnos

Post by Ryalnos » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:39 pm

I believe international students usually aren't invited to visit. After all, the travel expenses are usually quite a bit higher than they would be for domestic students. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask, though.

noojens

Post by noojens » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:29 pm

If you've been admitted, I'd be amazed if they wouldn't let you visit. Don't expect them to pay for it, though.

geshi

Post by geshi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:22 pm

With all of the offers I've gotten, they offered me a visit in the email. For several of them, there was a strict limit on how much they'd be willing to pay for. I am a domestic applicant however, so that may a difference. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure all of them said they'd pay for the visit. Several of the offers to visit were just "our Open House is ___." If I were you, I'd ask them. As noojens said, I'm sure they'll LET you visit, but I doubt they'll cover the whole bill.

theoryl

Post by theoryl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Thank you all for the responses. :) I am willing to pay for my own trip, but wanted a second opinion before I schedule any visit. They never mentioned anything about open house in the emails I received though. I think I'll just email them to ask.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:17 pm

theoryl wrote: I think I'll just email them to ask.
let us know what they answered.