changing options

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

nemo

changing options

Post by nemo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Can one change the options if one is rejected from a program but could accept another program at the same university? For example the first option is let's say biophysics and one is rejected, can one change that for let's say CMT or CME or whatever? It's NOT my case (yet... :? :? :? ) but I'm thinking...

newt11

Re: changing options

Post by newt11 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:01 pm

I know from many friends it is really possible. Ok, I want to share something that I really believe is important. To change the research area is okey but to change the professor you talked before the acceptance is a different thing. I dont say this is rather impossible but if one wants to change the prof. he talked before coming to grad school, he should do this with a kind & plausible explanation.

YellowXDart

Re: changing options

Post by YellowXDart » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Some schools will forward your application to a different department once you get rejected if you ask them to, but policies are different for different programs. If this is something you want to do, I would suggest contacting the departments you want to transfer from and ask them. The worst they can do is say no. If both research areas are being conducted in the same department however, I think it is unlikely that changing your specialization will have any effect on your chances of acceptance.