URGENT: USPS left a notice

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

blackcat007

URGENT: USPS left a notice

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:44 pm

I thought, after posting my applications, all I have to do is to wait and track them. but I am now faced with another headache. Today when I tracked my supporting materials, I saw that USPS tried delivering my mail to Purdue and UIUC, but since there were no one to receive them, they left a notice (called the "peach form"). USPS further added that they will keep the materials in the post office for the next 5 business days, if the receiver claims the package then they will redeliver it, otherwise after 5 days they will send it to me :(

Has anyone of you faced similar situations? do the universities claim the packages?

what do I do now sitting 10000 kms away?? :x :evil:

stardust

Re: URGENT: USPS left a notice

Post by stardust » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:02 pm

Call USPS and try changing your options that you mailed that package with that a signature
is not needed, so they can leave the package. My school too is closed until jan 4th,
but I'm told that mail can still be received. You may want to call up those
universities and see if you can find the mail area and ask them what to do. You may
have to wait until this Monday, since everything will be closed.

I haven't faced the exact situations, but I have faced surprises and such from
USPS, like overnight stuff that takes more than 1 day to certain places so you are
guaranteed to be late. It's like, how were we supposed to know to ask that.

Even if it came back to you, you can probably still get it there in time to arrive the
first business day after the 1st, so it won't be so terrible, except you would have paid
twice.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:20 pm

stardust wrote:Call USPS and try changing your options that you mailed that package with that a signature
is not needed, so they can leave the package. My school too is closed until jan 4th,
but I'm told that mail can still be received. You may want to call up those
universities and see if you can find the mail area and ask them what to do. You may
have to wait until this Monday, since everything will be closed.

I haven't faced the exact situations, but I have faced surprises and such from
USPS, like overnight stuff that takes more than 1 day to certain places so you are
guaranteed to be late. It's like, how were we supposed to know to ask that.

Even if it came back to you, you can probably still get it there in time to arrive the
first business day after the 1st, so it won't be so terrible, except you would have paid
twice.
Thanks for sharing. I tried calling the Purdue and UIUC but both are closed, since my call went to voice mail. This is probably the most stressful and terrible Christmas of mine :(

My plan is to to wait till Monday, and try calling the schools to see if they are going to claim the package with the "peach form" , if no answer, then I will surely call USPS and try changing the signature requirements, by the way, how will USPS know that I am the original sender and not someone else?

on the other side, U of Florida was open on 24th Dec and my mail got delivered and signed. Why do some schools get totally closed during this hot period of admission? (with the exception of 25th dec)

yeah yeah someone might point out humanity issues and holidays and stuff.. :mrgreen:

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:46 pm

It looks like you're on top of everything. Do these schools not have online applications? It seems like doing everything online would completely eliminate headaches like you're experiencing.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:49 pm

nathan12343 wrote:It looks like you're on top of everything. Do these schools not have online applications? It seems like doing everything online would completely eliminate headaches like you're experiencing.

yes they do have online, that I have already submitted.. but transcripts need to be mailed.. only a few of them like (in my case) U of Penn, Princeton and NYU have scanned transcripts submission system, all others need official copies of transcripts mailed to them

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:16 pm

Oh, ok, well then I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Transcripts, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores can and do arrive late. Most of the admissions decisions are going to be made at the end of January and the beginning of February and all the schools really care about is that they get these supporting materials before they look at your file. Since these materials are largely out of your hands, they are very understanding if they arrive late.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:25 pm

nathan12343 wrote:Oh, ok, well then I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Transcripts, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores can and do arrive late. Most of the admissions decisions are going to be made at the end of January and the beginning of February and all the schools really care about is that they get these supporting materials before they look at your file. Since these materials are largely out of your hands, they are very understanding if they arrive late.
ohh :) nice thanks for sharing, although I have some time for these two schools (jan 15th) but my main concern is money, its really costly for intl mail services, and on top of that paying twice for the same place..

anyway your reply has surely made my christmas a bit more comfortable than before. :D

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:29 am

DELIVERED DELIVERED!!!!! :D

finally both Purdue and UIUC contacted USPS.. and the packages were delivered.. phewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!