Discussion: 2010 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

grae313

Discussion: 2010 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Post by grae313 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Since only profiles are allowed in the profiles thread, this is for discussing people's posts in the 2010 Profiles thread or commenting.

grae313

Re: Discussion: 2010 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Post by grae313 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Geshi, you should post all of the schools you are applying to and update your post with the responses from all 15 schools. This is meant as a resource to future applicants, so they can gauge where they stand. Someday someone may be in a similar situation as yourself and will find your results useful.

Engage

Post by Engage » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:46 pm

good luck to everyone! the next couple months of waiting are going to be brutal

chewy

Post by chewy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:18 pm

hey, just curious what people think of these scores for getting into physics grad school

General GRE (took twice):
Q: 650 760
V: 520 540
W:4.0 4.5

Physics GRE (took twice):
470 (1st time)
500 (2nd time)

im just average american male applying to schools like NC state or UNC. what do you think my chances are with 1 year of research upon graduation.

chewy

Post by chewy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 pm

chewy wrote:hey, just curious what people think of these scores for getting into physics grad school

General GRE (took twice):
Q: 650 760
V: 520 540
W:4.0 4.5

Physics GRE (took twice):
470 (1st time)
500 (2nd time)

im just average american male applying to schools like NC state or UNC. what do you think my chances are with 1 year of research upon graduation.
GPA is 3.4ish for major and overall. major GPA is higher.

geshi

Post by geshi » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:42 pm

grae313 wrote:Geshi, you should post all of the schools you are applying to and update your post with the responses from all 15 schools. This is meant as a resource to future applicants, so they can gauge where they stand. Someday someone may be in a similar situation as yourself and will find your results useful.
I had thought about that. For some of the schools I'm applying to, I was thinking people probably would not be looking into applying to as well. However, you are probably right. I'll update it later tonight.

Edit: terrible grammar.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:15 am

Can anyone comment on my profile... I would be very glad..

Thanks

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:11 pm

I think you have a very nice selection of schools considering your profile, I don't know how your engineering background will be seen but I would be very surprised if you got rejected from all the schools you applied to.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:55 pm

Kroner - you should apply to the applied math program at CU boulder, not the math program if that's what you're doing.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:42 am

Mataka wrote:I think you have a very nice selection of schools considering your profile, I don't know how your engineering background will be seen but I would be very surprised if you got rejected from all the schools you applied to.
I hope I get into atleast one of them but this profile of unstuddmaddu http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1847 is really giving me a fear..

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:21 am

fc_pga: pretty anxious to see your PGRE score :)

@blackcat:
ha ha. :D :roll: ..thats a scaaary profile.

kroner

Post by kroner » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:06 pm

nathan12343 wrote:Kroner - you should apply to the applied math program at CU boulder, not the math program if that's what you're doing.
It looks like the applied math department is mostly focused on numerical analysis and differential equations. I want to be doing topology and geometry, which is in the regular math department even when it has a physics context, so that's the one I ended up deciding on.

I think the "applied"/"pure" split is mostly a historical distinction. For example things like graph theory go in "applied" even when they're not immediately applicable, and things like number theory and topology are "pure" even when the results are used in cryptography and physics respectively.
Last edited by kroner on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:13 pm

Kroner: that makes sense. When you said mathematical physics, I figured that was what you were interested in. Sorry for underestimating your grad school research.

And the applied/pure distinction is purely historical, at least at CU boulder. It's based on some old fight from 20 years ago plus the fact that professors in the engineering school get paid more.

kroner

Post by kroner » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:15 pm

no problem. It's sort of an idiosyncratic division anyway.

Also, sorry I didn't mean to be editing my post out from under you.

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:17 pm

blackcat007 wrote:
Mataka wrote:I think you have a very nice selection of schools considering your profile, I don't know how your engineering background will be seen but I would be very surprised if you got rejected from all the schools you applied to.
I hope I get into atleast one of them but this profile of unstuddmaddu http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1847 is really giving me a fear..
I don't see why this profile is so scary, the guy got in Cornell and Maryland, both very good schools. He has an excellent profile of course, and it's pretty obvious that if he were american he would have got in many more places, but I think your selection of schools is more realistic than his, so you may not get as many rejections as him.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 am

Mataka wrote:
blackcat007 wrote:
I don't see why this profile is so scary, the guy got in Cornell and Maryland, both very good schools. He has an excellent profile of course, and it's pretty obvious that if he were american he would have got in many more places, but I think your selection of schools is more realistic than his, so you may not get as many rejections as him.
yeah thats right.. i think i am getting paranoid these days :( ..

bhavin

Post by bhavin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:25 am

Hi. Can anyone comment on my profile? Should I have more universities that would be safe?

dct64xx

Post by dct64xx » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:56 pm

Well, after over a year of lurking on this board, I finally registered! Having finished all my applications, I figured it was about time.

I just posted my profile, if anyone wants to take a look. I basically applied to most of the big-name schools (a strategy I know some on this board disapprove of). The way I see it is, I'm not really sure what area of physics I want to go into yet, and the biggest schools are the ones where I'd be most likely to find a project that interests me. I think I have a decent shot of at least getting into some of them. If not, well, I'll probably apply to a few Canadian schools as backup.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:01 pm

dct64xx wrote:Well, after over a year of lurking on this board, I finally registered! Having finished all my applications, I figured it was about time.

I just posted my profile, if anyone wants to take a look. I basically applied to most of the big-name schools (a strategy I know some on this board disapprove of). The way I see it is, I'm not really sure what area of physics I want to go into yet, and the biggest schools are the ones where I'd be most likely to find a project that interests me. I think I have a decent shot of at least getting into some of them. If not, well, I'll probably apply to a few Canadian schools as backup.
With your grades, GRE scores, and research experience, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

dct64xx

Post by dct64xx » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:08 pm

nathan12343 wrote:
dct64xx wrote:Well, after over a year of lurking on this board, I finally registered! Having finished all my applications, I figured it was about time.

With your grades, GRE scores, and research experience, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Well, that's reassuring. I'm paranoid cause last year I was rejected from several of the big name schools. Of course, I didn't have a 980 then.

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:26 pm

I think it's safe to say that you will get a few rejections (like you're supposed to, especially with your choice of schools), but I would be very surprised if you didn't get accepted anywhere...

You said in your profile that you are currently taking a year off ? Are you doing research ? And if not, do you mention/explain it in your SOP ?

dct64xx

Post by dct64xx » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:06 pm

Mataka wrote:You said in your profile that you are currently taking a year off ? Are you doing research ? And if not, do you mention/explain it in your SOP ?
Yeah, I touched on it. Basically, I want to use this year to travel (not that I've had a chance to do that yet). So I'm not doing any research currently, but it's fairly likely that I'll end up doing at least part-time research at some point during the year.

matonski

Post by matonski » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm applying to a crapload of schools.

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi Woolf:
Can you please let me know how good is research in Quantum electro dynamics /communications at Harvard.I tried researching myself, but could not get much info except for few pages from Prof. Capasso. Thanks in advance

fc_pga

Post by fc_pga » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:17 am

sravanskarri wrote:fc_pga: pretty anxious to see your PGRE score :)
I just updated it.

rahuldatta

Post by rahuldatta » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:11 am

hii friends,
kindly comment on my profile and chances...profile uploaded in the profile thread
thanx in advance

vttd

Post by vttd » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:34 am

I was wondering if anyone could comment on my profile. I've been beating myself up pretty badly about my test scores

geshi

Post by geshi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:21 pm

vttd wrote:I was wondering if anyone could comment on my profile. I've been beating myself up pretty badly about my test scores
I would personally recommend throwing some master's programs or some really low safety schools on your list. With that PGRE, you'll probably be viewed as a "risky" (even if you aren't really a risk ... unfortunately they do put stock in a bad PGRE) candidate. You are applying for astrophysics, and I've heard that astrophysics departments don't care about the PGRE as much as physics departments. I've mentioned this on these boards several times, but I'll mention it again. I'm a second time applicant because I applied last year to 7 programs and got 7 rejections. The most likely reason is that I had a 550 (20%) on the PGRE. I didn't apply to any *real* safety schools (everything on my list was top 50) and no master's programs.

Don't beat yourself up about your PGRE score. It happens to a lot of us. I've retaken the PGRE and gotten a 710. While not amazing, it's certainly a MUCH better score than a 550. The PGRE is obviously not a valid representation of your ability as a physicist. You can still get into grad school. Also you're applying to Berkley, and you go to undergrad there. Sounds like you also did a bunch of research there. You probably have a decent shot at getting in to Berkley. I don't know if talking to your current/past research advisers would help, but you might want to consider that option. I noticed you *might* get a 4th letter from a nobel laureatte. That uh ... *might* give you an edge :wink: .

Another advantage you have is being a female. Why? You are probably well aware of this, but the ratio of males to females in physics is something ridiculous like 4:1.

You shouldn't sweat this process too much. Whatever you do, do not place your entire self worth on where you get in. That sounds ridiculous, but when I got those 7 rejections I was horribly depressed for a good 2 months. I kept telling myself I was stupid and yadda yadda yadda.

Best of luck to you! (Especially since you aren't applying to the same programs I am :wink: )

delton

Application is a mixed bag

Post by delton » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:49 am

Hey,

I've been trying to figure out where to apply.

Here's my quick stats :
Research : 1 REU, 2 different experimental/optics research experiences at home institution. 2 publications (neither 1st author)
GRE: 780M, 640V, 4.0
PGRE: 720 (59%)
GPA: 3.87

And, I graduated in 3 years and am currently a grad student at my undergrad institution. I am hoping to transfer. Will this help me much?? I will have taken 5 grad courses by the end of next semester.

So far I've applied to:
NYU,
Cornell
Princeton
MIT
UPenn
Boston University
Rutgers

and I will be applying to
Stony Brook
Columbia
University of Maryland
Brown

Finally, my interests are more on the theoretical side. I'm in interested in quantum computing and nonlinear dynamics. I'm also interested in mathematical physics, but so far don't have a very good background in it.

Right now I'm debating whether I should apply to UChicago? Their average pgre is 875, but I've also heard places accept a wide range of scores. Also, should I apply to more safeties, or would that be paranoid?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:46 am

Good day everybody.

I just posted my profile not to long ago.
I would really appreciate feedback: I have been losing sleep over this subject for a while.

serali

Post by serali » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:14 am

It's very early to say anything but I just received an email from UWM. It says that they'll probably make me an offer.

highbounce

Post by highbounce » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:17 am

serali wrote:It's very early to say anything but I just received an email from UWM. It says that they'll probably make me an offer.
Congrats! Wisconsin-Madison? What field did you apply to?

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:47 am

serali wrote:It's very early to say anything but I just received an email from UWM. It says that they'll probably make me an offer.
wow congrats!! was it some prof or the admission committee who sent you this mail?

serali

Post by serali » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:50 am

Milwaukee. I applied for gravity.

Blackcat: A professor, and yes I'm international.

Edit: I'll add my profile asap

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Let's get some more profiles on the profile thread :D

blaster00

Post by blaster00 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:44 pm

I went ahead and threw profile in there. I know I have skimmed through them for the last year or so for fun... Now we all gotta play the waiting game... :-/

I would appreciate any comments.. It will be nice to actually get feedback rather than thinking/worrying about it all on my own, haha

geshi

Post by geshi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Congrats! I just heard from UW-Milwaukee too on Friday! I got an email from a prof that said an offer was on the way, and they invited me to come for a visit!

I was shocked that I got an acceptance this early! I'm pretty excited :)

mobytish

Post by mobytish » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Congratulations! I'm in the same boat. I already got an e-mail saying I was accepted to a summer program for Kent that requires me to be an incoming student, which essentially says I'm getting accepted. We'll see how long it takes them to make it official... their application deadline isn't even here yet (Jan 31)

noojens

Post by noojens » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:11 am

Grats on UWM guys :) It's a great little department with some awesome people.

jones

Post by jones » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Is it just me, or is the waiting game killing everybody?

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:43 pm

No it's not just you ...

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:45 pm

jones wrote:Is it just me, or is the waiting game killing everybody?
I am half dead waiting for the month of march. and in the meantime, the last semester of engineering is killing me. :(

jones

Post by jones » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 pm

Mildly reassuring! I can't seem to work on my thesis. It's good to know that the acceptance threads are empty for now.

geshi

Post by geshi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:58 pm

I was definitely in that boat last year when I applied to grad school. For me the waiting lasted until May when I realized those wait list schools were never going to take me off. Just hope you get at least 1 acceptance early! It really takes a lot of stress out. Good luck to everyone! :)

Engage

Post by Engage » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:09 pm

definitely killing me too. I feel like I rolled the dice, applying to the schools that I did, with my verbal score. hopefully some of those cali schools pull through with the econ the way it is, but who knows.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Could someone please comment on my profile and what my chances would be of getting admitted. Thank you.

YellowXDart

Post by YellowXDart » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:56 am

Umm... Seeing that some people are already receiving responses from schools has suddenly made me VERY anxious. I know we aren't supposed to hear anything until February at the earliest, but you always hope that you'll be the lucky one with an early acceptance.

Sorry, just needed to have a public emo moment. :oops:

geshi

Post by geshi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

YellowXDart wrote:Umm... Seeing that some people are already receiving responses from schools has suddenly made me VERY anxious. I know we aren't supposed to hear anything until February at the earliest, but you always hope that you'll be the lucky one with an early acceptance.

Hey, just hope you aren't one of the really unlucky ones that doesn't get accepted at all.

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=physics

Only a couple schools seem to have sent out acceptances this early (UW-Milwaukee, UW-Madison, UPenn). I wouldn't get too anxious yet.

Ryalnos

Post by Ryalnos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:08 pm

Yeah. If you look at previous years, very few grad schools start accepting applicants before February.

highbounce

Post by highbounce » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:40 pm

geshi wrote:
YellowXDart wrote:Umm... Seeing that some people are already receiving responses from schools has suddenly made me VERY anxious. I know we aren't supposed to hear anything until February at the earliest, but you always hope that you'll be the lucky one with an early acceptance.

Hey, just hope you aren't one of the really unlucky ones that doesn't get accepted at all.

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=physics

Only a couple schools seem to have sent out acceptances this early (UW-Milwaukee, UW-Madison, UPenn). I wouldn't get too anxious yet.
It does however seem like that UW-Madison sends all of its acceptances in January. I was looking at last year's results. Everyone one who got accepted received the email on Jan 30. Since some people already got their acceptance emails on Jan 19 this year, could this mean that all the acceptances are already sent out and the rest are rejected?