October vs. November tests

electricdipole

October vs. November tests

Post by electricdipole » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:05 pm

Has anyone taken both October and November PGRE tests (or at least the Nov. test) and gotten their scores? I did and felt like I had done much better on the Nov. test, but when I got the score by phone, it was exactly the same as the October score. I know that I answered at least eight or nine more questions and felt like I knew almost everything for in November test, so I thought that I would do at least somewhat better. Does anyone else have any perspective on this or did anyone else have a similar experience? I know there are multiple tests given each time, but maybe we can make some rough generalizations.

bibimbop

Re: October vs. November tests

Post by bibimbop » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:49 pm

Here's my data point:

I took the Oct test after studying for 6 days solid and got a 930 (89th percentile).

When I took the Nov test I actually felt a little less prepared, and was generally expecting the same or lower score, but by the grace of God I got a 990 (95th percentile).

YellowXDart

Post by YellowXDart » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:11 pm

I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that everybody gets the same test. I took it with 2 other students from my school, and we had the same questions.

In response to your question, different raw scores can correspond to the same scaled score. If a test was easier or people performed better on it overall, then a higher raw score will still be worth less when scaled. When you get your score report, you can compare the number of questions you answered correctly on each test. Look at the raw vs. scaled scores on the practice tests too.

I get the overall impression that the November test was easier, since a 990 corresponded to 95%, which means that even if you answered more correctly, the scaling could still put you in the same place.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:18 pm

YellowXDart wrote:I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that everybody gets the same test. I took it with 2 other students from my school, and we had the same questions.
There are three different forms, A, B, and C, though there might be some overlap to the questions on each.

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:36 am

A little puzzled about the Form A, B,C thing.Do we have to fill in what Form we took, some where in the answer sheet ? I only remember filling in a 4 digit Form number, does this really matter ?

kroner

Post by kroner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:28 am

Yeah, apparently the last letter of the form code is 'A', 'B' or 'C' and it indicates which version of the test your answer sheet should be graded against.

wisegops

Post by wisegops » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:40 am

Does each form of the test vary in difficulty? If so, wouldn't that mean that the raw scores and scaled scores may vary in accordance with the difficulty level of each form?

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:40 am

kroner wrote:Yeah, apparently the last letter of the form code is 'A', 'B' or 'C' and it indicates which version of the test your answer sheet should be graded against.
I see, thanks Kroner

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:19 am

wisegops wrote:Does each form of the test vary in difficulty? If so, wouldn't that mean that the raw scores and scaled scores may vary in accordance with the difficulty level of each form?
yes, your point in this and the other thread is well taken.