Philosophy of Physics/Foundations of Physics!!!

limbophysics

Philosophy of Physics/Foundations of Physics!!!

Post by limbophysics » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Anyone have advice on good schools for PhD programs?

noojens

Re: Philosophy of Physics/Foundations of Physics!!!

Post by noojens » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Urm, nothing comes to mind. It's unlikely you'll find many universities with philosophy of physics groups, so I'd start by reading journals and looking up authors that interest you.

G'luck!

girl

Post by girl » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:47 pm

Ok I came to physics by way of philo, so I looked into this quite a lot at one point in my life. No physics program is going to have a philo group, its obviously gonna be the other way around. Many schools have philosophy of physics programs where you graduate with a phd in philo and a ma in physics. the top one in the us is definitely u of pittsburgh. Again, though, this is a subfield of PHILOSOPHY not physics.

lyrero

Post by lyrero » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:17 am

Hi

I have read something like this in a very known campus of the University of California:

"Mr. So and So"
Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics.

"Mrs. This and That"
Educational Physics

What exactly do you mean with Philo in physics? Sorry, because I dont know, and I think it is better not to think about it by myself, missconceptions can I made. Anyway, it sounds a little far from the mainstream of the physics community. A partner in school also likes it, but I dont talk with him so frequently.

iteloo

Post by iteloo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:45 am

Unfortunately there aren't that many programs, especially if you don't have a good background in philosophy. Oxford has a pretty established group.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~ppox/teaching/gr ... index.html

There are a few options, if you don't have much background you can go for the one year M.St ; if you have some experience then there's the B.Phil. I think both can potentially lead to a D.Phil, which is an equivalent of a Ph.D.

Good luck!
Last edited by iteloo on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:00 pm

lyrero wrote:What exactly do you mean with Philo in physics?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_physics

limbophysics

Post by limbophysics » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Well, thanks for the advice!
I think Oxford and perhaps U Pitt are a bit out of my range (660 PGRE, though I didn't study much and plan to retake it).
What about other 2nd tier schools with good PhilPhys programs? Any recommendations on journals that would include authors who write about philosophy of physics?