Starting para pf my SOP

blackcat007

Starting para pf my SOP

Post by blackcat007 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:29 pm

I started in this fashion :
" Human being’s constant struggle to understand his surrounding at various levels has resulted science to ramify into numerous branches, each having its own respective specialization. But among them all, the science that stands the purest and the most fundamental is physics. It is because physics is the science that can explain all phenomena and interactions in the universe at the most fundamental level. It is this fundamental nature of physics that has fascinated me since my childhood."

what do you think? is this too philosophical? if yes, any suggestions for a better start?

monocles

Re: Starting para pf my SOP

Post by monocles » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:50 pm

I think it's way too philosophical. Plus, there are people who would argue that computer science is more fundamental than physics (and I'd agree with them depending on the definition of fundamental, despite being a physics student). I don't have any suggestions for a better start, though.

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:00 pm

I agree, I would not recommend to write philo related stuff ... and everybody in their own field thinks that their own field is the master of all other fields ...
Moreover, what you wrote is very cliché, the admission committee probably reads several opening paragraph very similar to yours. Try to be more unique.

I started mine with a somewhat recent anecdote which involved me and some famous physicists at a seminar, overall I think it works quite well. It's light and it conveys some elements that need to be in the SOP (some knowledge of the field, passion for physics ...)

noojens

Post by noojens » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Also? I'd have a native English speaker correct your grammar before you submit it, regardless of content.

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Hmm I agree with your idea ,avoid using a word too often (like " fundamental") or generalizing. It sounds too redundant.Rather quote an experience in your case how you started to think Physics is the key behind your undersatnding and thought.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:06 am

Thank you very much guys

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:15 am

noojens wrote:Also? I'd have a native English speaker correct your grammar before you submit it, regardless of content.
I really don't know any native english speaker in person.. :cry: any other solution?

noojens

Post by noojens » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:12 pm

PM me your final draft and I'll clean it up :P

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:26 pm

noojens wrote:PM me your final draft and I'll clean it up :P
how about this: (I really can't think of any anecdotes or funny start)

I am ABC, I wish to apply for PhD in Physics in University of XYZ. The academic exposure in physics that I got during my under graduation both from curricular and extracurricular activities have encouraged me greatly to take up higher studies.

Physics and Mathematics interested me from my very childhood. Right from school I had a habit of solving problems in physics and mathematics with a different approach than what was in the text book. I consistently topped in mathematics and physics from 7th to 12th grade. Due to my outstanding .........

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Well I think it's pretty lame, but I guess it goes directly to the point so it's better than your previous one.

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:41 pm

@blackcat
Sounds a little casual to me.Try reading Grae's blog in Physics web blogs.. though it may sound a little irrelevant, you can get an idea what personal experiences you can highlight.Between, me too struggling for one,as I could n't find a cool one in my so-far boring life time! :cry: