Selecting the right school for theoretical astrophysics

anantha

Selecting the right school for theoretical astrophysics

Post by anantha » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:53 pm

I am from India, female, finished my B.Sc. in 1992, worked, did my M.Sc. 2005-2007, worked, writing Physics GRE this November (my jobs were not related to physics). I want to get into a good research program in cosmology. But I am lost in this huge maze of US universities, so please help!

My M.Sc. percentage: 75
Gen. GRE: 1290
physics GRE: hoping to get around 800

quizivex

Re: Selecting the right school for theoretical astrophysics

Post by quizivex » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:24 am

Based on your stats, the ideal cosmology programs for you would be at the following universities.

Good luck!

anantha

Post by anantha » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:47 am

THAT was a honest answer, but I don't want anyone else to click on that link to view the muck you have posted. I hope that the GSCs at the universities take a different view of my application.

excel

Post by excel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:50 am

I had felt similarly lost when I was applying to undergraduate programs in U.S. universities a few years back. At that time, I found US News rankings to be a good starting point. Additionally, for graduate schools, phds.org have customizable rankings. http://graduate-school.phds.org/rankings
Also, Chronicle of Higher Education's research rankings: http://chronicle.com/stats/productivity/

Of course, rankings are only a starting point, but I think a very good starting point.

rahuldatta

Post by rahuldatta » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Hello members,

Myself Rahul from India. I have an undergraduate degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from a reasonable college (National Institute of Technology) and presently working for the Indian Space Research Organization.

I wanna pursue a Ph.D. in a field which would involve constraining the modern theories of particle physics through experimental gravitational physics and observational cosmology, i.e., a field which would be some sort of an interdisciplinary between engineering and fundamental physics, in a way providing a bridge between the language of scientists and engineers keeping in mind that theoretical physics badly needs to be shown the right direction through experiments.

Could anyone suggest some good OBSERVATIONAL COSMOLOGY programs?

I am taking the Physics GRE this November 7. My general GRE scores are as follows:
V:640
Q:800
AWA:4(screwed)

I am expecting around 850 in PGRE
I have some reading projects related to Radio astronomy and have a poster presentation.

Thanks in advance.....