GREP for third time

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

adrphys

GREP for third time

Post by adrphys » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:13 am

Hi, maybe some1 is in my same situation and can throw some light on this:
Last year I took my 1st GRE physics, I wasn't aware of many things and due my work and personal life I didn't have time to study at all (got my BS in physics 5 years ago, and there is a lot I have to refresh) Knowing I wasn't prepared I decided to take the test anyway to see it for the 1st time, my grades were low in result of that. Few months later I decided to try the test again but for personal problems I wasnt able to take it and i didn't have time to cancell it. Now i'm going for my 3rd try this nov 7.
Will my 1st 2 attempts affect me greatly in the reports to grad school? Is there anything I could do to mitigate this? Any help or advice will be awesome, thx.

hk

Re: GREP for third time

Post by hk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:30 pm

That's quite a similar situation with me. I got my BS 4 years ago and earlier this month I took my 3rd PGRE -- the previous 2 was really bad due to lack of preparations etc. etc. I'm also going to take the Nov 7.

I don't think that you could ask ETS to report the best score (not all of the test you have taken), or could you?
No idea about how the grad school committee will see that, but I'm also worried whether the previous bad results will affect my application..

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:45 am

No you cannot have ETS send selective scores. you can only choose between General GRE and PGRE and they will send all scores from the last 5 years.
but I think admission committees will consider the higher score ( in the case that it's the last score) and it's a good sign cuz you improved your knowledge by time and persevered in your purpose.

adrphys

Post by adrphys » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am

Well honestly my question was toward the grad committees point of view, I've heard that they take applications in a more personalized way, like they review all the aspects of the application, GPA, GRE grades, letter of intent, recommendation letters, etc. And I've also heard that if you explain the circumstances of your failed GRE tests they will take that into consideration.

Also, does anyone knows if you forfeit the test what grade you get? does that get reported?

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:01 pm

They will look at all of your test grades. However, if one of your grades is significantly better than the other ones, my guess is they would chalk up the bad grades to poor preparation or even just a bad day on the day of the test.

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:03 pm

nathan12343 wrote:They will look at all of your test grades. However, if one of your grades is significantly better than the other ones, my guess is they would chalk up the bad grades to poor preparation or even just a bad day on the day of the test.
Although I agree with all written above, I am still skeptical if the admissions committee will condone it when sb sits the test 4, 5, ... times, even if the score increases from one attempt to the other. I think that a large number of attempts -even if the final result is decent enough- may result in mixed reactions within the admissions panel. Furthemore, I wonder what is the situation with "mixed results", for example -> good results in section A and bad in sections B and C in the 1st trial, bad results in section A and good results in sections B and C in the 2nd trial, good results in sections A and B but bad results in section C in the 3rd trial and so on ... . The same could happen with each subject-test-trial ... .

mikkey

Post by mikkey » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:01 pm

adrphys wrote: Also, does anyone knows if you forfeit the test what grade you get? does that get reported?
If you forfeit the test, you will not get any grade for it. In fact, it is as though you have not taken the test. There will be no records sent to the schools indicating that you have taken it.

t3chn0n3rd

Post by t3chn0n3rd » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:39 pm

I am in a similar situation , I earned my BS several years ago. I am going to take the subject exam in early 2010 for the first time. My score will be lower than I hope. The second time I take my exam I hope I get the score I need.