Is a good Physics haandbook helpful?

Sherlock

Is a good Physics haandbook helpful?

Post by Sherlock » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:14 am

I'm from Taiwan and preparing the November GRE subject test.
As I have been out of school for four years, I found I forget most of the formulas. So, I guess a good physical handbook could help me to check most of the fomulas and concepts more efficiently.

Does anyone have a good physics handbook to recommend?

phynyx

Post by phynyx » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:55 am

hi,

you might want to use Griffith's book for eletrodynamics. people also seem to be using Seraway's book on modern physics. I have not seen the book yet. Let me know if you find it useful. But Griffith's book , i think is a must for Subgre.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:43 pm

My fiance' gave me an old physics test prep book she had; UPOC's Review of Physics. It is a little more basic than what you'll find on the Physics subject test, but covers everything from Mechanics to E&M to Nuclear Physics. It's a very good general prep book, and has tables and quite a few test questions in the back. My version was published in 1997 by United Publishing Company, [isbn=0937323020][/isbn].

us.anjan

Post by us.anjan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:03 pm

Well, I'd recommend a book that I quite like:

The Cambridge Handbook of Physics Formulae
Graham Woan, CUP

No guesses for the reason I love it - (apart from the fact that it's a local book), it's an excellent guide, especially for last minute memorising. It's also well cheap!

Mick

book ...

Post by Mick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:11 pm

Avoid the Princeton guide to advanced physics, it will be no help for the GRE, even though it's a decent book for grad study.

There are a lot of great quantum books, mechanics books, e&m books, etc. But 85% of the stuff on the physics gre is right out of a good undergrad book like Serway. That's the one I recommend, just work as many problems in there as possible.

Another excellent book if you don't mind the occassional typo is Browne's Physics for Engineering and Science, in the Schaum's series. It's even better than Serway if you don't have a lot of time because he gets right to the heart of the matter and doesn't use too many words. It's a nice cheap book too. He writes good problems and then solves them.