Engineering to Science

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

vishnusiva004

Engineering to Science

Post by vishnusiva004 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:24 am

Hello . . . . ! !

I am an undergraduate in Electronics and Communications. I took this engineering field for various reasons I can't explain. Please don't ask them. I am really interested in Mathematical Physics.

How tough it'd be to face GRE Physics having Engineering background ???

How do top schools treat Engineering background people during the admission process of Physics Graduation ??

Help me out . . . !!

physics_auth

Re: Engineering to Science

Post by physics_auth » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:44 pm

vishnusiva004 wrote:Hello . . . . ! !

I am an undergraduate in Electronics and Communications. I took this engineering field for various reasons I can't explain. Please don't ask them. I am really interested in Mathematical Physics.

Are you sure that you want to turn from BJTs, MOSFETs and Antennas to Green functions, Lie derivatives, calculus of variation and all that stuff? The former are heavily applicable things while the later are abstrach mathematics that happen to be useful for the description of our physical world!

How tough it'd be to face GRE Physics having Engineering background ???

Since in this forum most members (I hope ... I may mistake) are physicists ... a physicist cannot provide a represantive answer to your somewhat abstract question!

How do top schools treat Engineering background people during the admission process of Physics Graduation ??

Instead of your question try to answer this question: Why should top universities select you from a bunch of applicants amongst whom there are people who have subtle physical intuition, advanced physics education and exceptional experimental dexterities?

Help me out . . . !!
And once again I predict that you will be admonished (implicitly or explicitly) for not browsing the pertinent topics posted in this forum ... your matter is an "old story" in this forum :roll: