preparation a few weeks before PGRE

sravanskarri

preparation a few weeks before PGRE

Post by sravanskarri » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Can I get some suggestions/advice on how to go about preparing this last month before the novermber GRE ?. I always falter at the last step due to not having a right strategy few days before the exam.

I have gone through atleast once/twice reading through the major test areas in PGRE CM, QM, EM, Opitcs, Thermo, SR, few topics in Modern Physics (trying to finish this quickly by this week) and answering a few questions from each chapter and thinking through some problems.Apart from taking the practice tests, what is the best way I can do a quick revision in each area. Any suggestions are appreciated.

pamel

Re: preparation a few weeks before PGRE

Post by pamel » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:07 am

Hi sravanskarri, are you writing this Nov 7th ?

Ideally all that you need to be confident of "The Symbolic Meaning associated with every variable in a Mathematical Equation"

Since Strategy is not acquired in a short period of time and without sufficient practise, its not an easy task.

When your technique of using formulae is good, try to focus on the Symbolic Meanings, that would help you apply equations swiftly. Any conceptual understanding like general ideas about things can also help you.

Hope this helps you... :)

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:08 am

Thanks a lot pamel, that is helpful indeed

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:16 am

IMO, the best thing to do in the last days is to achieve self-confidence for the test. you should feel you have all things in hand to ace the test. if you have prepared a personal formulas notebook or any other notes go through them several times, if you need to recapitulate a chapter in a book to remember some equations do it. this will certainly avoid trivial stress before the test cuz you did all that were required.

pamel

Post by pamel » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:24 pm

One important thing I missed earlier :

All Physics comes from inferring a situation, most often we have Geometrical Figures say like frames of reference where we during the exam one may confuse between the primed and unprimed notations, ending up calculating the wrong thing.

Therefore recapitulate all the formulae with the situation [ in which your equation is applicable ] in mind, not just the equation. Though my definition of Symbolic Meaning subtly means what I said now, I'ld prefer to mention explicitly. :)

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Thank you ..I see what you mean.

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:03 am

well, it helps to me: 4 days before the exam I stop working so hard on preparation etc. If you are relaxed then all the important information comes into your mind at the real test. If you worked in the last weeks like 10 hours per day you can start working like 45 minutes in the last 4 days or not at all... go for a walk, go in a park, relax! If you start remembering all you know all at once you'll get a headache and it's useless. The brain will sort all you need when you are confronted with the real test. This is of course true if you worked in the past 3-4 months... I don't say you can get a reasonable score if you've done nothing until now and now you start relaxing... 8) :lol: