Statistical Thermodynamics, Solid State Physics, Scattering

pamel

Statistical Thermodynamics, Solid State Physics, Scattering

Post by pamel » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Regarding Statistical Thermodynamics, Solid State Physics, Scattering,

Could you please mention the Names of the Topics [ Specifically ] that are most important for PGRE ?

Thank You.

blackcat007

Re: Statistical Thermodynamics, Solid State Physics, Scattering

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:21 pm

pamel wrote:Regarding Statistical Thermodynamics, Solid State Physics, Scattering,

Could you please mention the Names of the Topics [ Specifically ] that are most important for PGRE ?

Thank You.
Stat Mech: Partition function and all sorts of operations with it, like finding avg energy, probability of finding a particle with energy Ei etc , FD and BE distributions, application of FD in explaining conduction in soldis and electron gas model and stuff.

Scattering: i think everything given in Griffith's QM, ie you should be able to find qualitatively graphs of w/f given a scattering potential, Transmission and reflection coefficients and their probabilities. be able to find the solution of a particle's w/f quantitatively given a potential.

SSP: all those basic crystal nomenclatures are the most important..

pamel

Post by pamel » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:08 am

Thank you blackcat :D I appreciate your help.

I am studying Robert Resnisks, Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, Particles. would that suffice ?

pamel

Post by pamel » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:11 am

I am not sure of Hamiltonian Dynamics,

What should I read about it ?any particular chapter from a book, would that be enough. I knew Lagrangian Dynamics well enough to solve problems....

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:57 pm

pamel wrote:Thank you blackcat :D I appreciate your help.

I am studying Robert Resnisks, Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, Particles. would that suffice ?
well the fact is I haven't used Robert Resnicks book ever. so really can't comment on it. However i heard its a good book.
I will let the other seasoned and experienced members to answer to your question.

pamel

Post by pamel » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:46 am

Before getting hands on this book, "Robert Resnisks, Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, Particles" a small advice

The book is very nice for a beginners, its much like the authors are explaining to a student, there is nothing stated concisely in it. Its in the same spirit as every of Robert Resnick's books, its fathomable even to the non-technical student.

It does seem to an expert as a verbose one. For a beginner every piece of logic should be in place to understand comprehensively.

The problems are also elementary indeed. An enthusiastic high school grade student with Calculus knowledge can just ride along easily.

pamel

Post by pamel » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:40 am

@blackcat

I see equations that are bit "hideous", I should cull out those which are important and could be applied during the exam.

Getting familiar with those topics is all enough or do I need to be rigorous enough to manipulate the equations ? I find Green's equations of the sort... are these needed for the exam ?