video lectures..

satyad18

video lectures..

Post by satyad18 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:12 pm

Can anybody give me the link of good physics video lectures in different topics which are required for PGRE.? Thing is, there are many videos in youtube, but can anybody help me out with a reasonable good video(for each topic).?
Plz help..

blackcat007

Re: video lectures..

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:19 pm

satyad18 wrote:Can anybody give me the link of good physics video lectures in different topics which are required for PGRE.? Thing is, there are many videos in youtube, but can anybody help me out with a reasonable good video(for each topic).?
Plz help..
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... an+physics
search, youtube for more videos..

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:08 pm

How do you expect to do your own research if you can't even research such a simple web search?

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:30 pm

satyad18 wrote:Can anybody give me the link of good physics video lectures in different topics which are required for PGRE.? Thing is, there are many videos in youtube, but can anybody help me out with a reasonable good video(for each topic).?
Plz help..
Without reading physics in a textbook your understanding will be limited ... lectures do not present theory in every detail. And it sounds somewhat naive to prepare for PGRE using U-tube. Finally -I may be wrong- but you give me the impression that you want to ace the test without doing a substantial effort ... why do you want sb else to tell you about the videos? Do it on your own.
Last edited by physics_auth on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:33 pm

twistor wrote:How do you expect to do your own research if you can't even research such a simple web search?
For some inexplicable reason, I agree with your stance toward some members of this forum!

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:01 pm

See the giant stickied post on test preparation and other materials at the top of this forum (idiot).

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:58 am

satyad18, excellent question! Most students look around aimlessly for boring textbooks or notes for GRE prep, but nobody ever thinks to look for videos. In fact, there is a video series of PGRE preparation lectures given for the physics society at Washington State University on Youtube. They're not widely advertised and the links often move because they don't want their students to lose the competitive advantage if everyone finds out about them. But currently they can be found here... here's a link to the first lecture, and the rest of the lectures can be found in order in the links on the page. Good luck!

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:06 am

Excellent resource! Thanks for sharing!

Hunter S. Thompson would be proud.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:29 am

quizivex wrote:satyad18, excellent question! Most students look around aimlessly for boring textbooks or notes for GRE prep, but nobody ever thinks to look for videos. In fact, there is a video series of PGRE preparation lectures given for the physics society at Washington State University on Youtube. They're not widely advertised and the links often move because they don't want their students to lose the competitive advantage if everyone finds out about them. But currently they can be found here... here's a link to the first lecture, and the rest of the lectures can be found in order in the links on the page. Good luck!
Also see this excellent video series (follow all of the links).

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:38 am

That's soooooooooooo 2007.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:38 am

nathan12343 wrote:
quizivex wrote:satyad18, excellent question! Most students look around aimlessly for boring textbooks or notes for GRE prep, but nobody ever thinks to look for videos. In fact, there is a video series of PGRE preparation lectures given for the physics society at Washington State University on Youtube. They're not widely advertised and the links often move because they don't want their students to lose the competitive advantage if everyone finds out about them. But currently they can be found here... here's a link to the first lecture, and the rest of the lectures can be found in order in the links on the page. Good luck!
Also see this excellent video series (follow all of the links).
this truely rocks!!! :lol: reminded me of an episode of Small Wonder
Last edited by blackcat007 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:41 am

why suddenly you made reference to WSU? :lol: any previous grudge? :lol:

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:21 am

Well, that definitely made my day. =)

prajor

Post by prajor » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:56 am

For QM - this might be a good source http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h1E3YJM ... L&index=82

- Edited the link - thanks for pointing out !!
Last edited by prajor on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:11 am

prajor wrote:For QM - this might be a good source http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... xt_from=PL
QM??? :? it was a nice representation for the phase relationship in the 2 body oscillator.

prajor

Post by prajor » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:56 am

Blackcat - thanks for pointing out. corrected the link (to the first lecture).

There is one on entaglement as well if you search.

It is very basic, for a non-physicist but with some level of maths, so it might help all the engineering guys

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:07 am

blackcat007 wrote:why suddenly you made reference to WSU? :lol: any previous grudge? :lol:
Nope, I didn't even take any jabs at them. I just wanted to use a random school name to make the link seem credible/valuable. I stopped there once when I was at my REU program at U. Idaho, which is just a few miles away. Actually maybe I do have a grudge... my friend and I were crossing the campus and cut through the football field only to find that there was a locked gate on the other side... so we had to go all the way back. :x

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:43 am

twistor wrote:That's soooooooooooo 2007.
It's an oldey, but still guaranteed to piss someone off.

___

Post by ___ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:53 am

Other than not referencing the sticky topic, I really don't think it's that dumb a question. If you feel like some of your lectures were subpar, it makes sense to look for videos of other lectures. I'd try iTunes U. I think it's new in the latest version of iTunes. They have lots of video lectures in different topics including physics, so you might find something there to help you out. Of course, you'll need to look at books too.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Well, I think the video lectures are great. I come from a University where the Physics department is very below par. By watching through many of the courses posted online on youtube I have learned so much. However, I think the guy posting is looking for a quick review on the Physics GRE, which is pretty hard to get done in such a short time by watching the Youtube Lectures.

-Riley

sravanskarri

Re: video lectures.. & preparation a month before the PGRE

Post by sravanskarri » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:46 pm

Yeah, I agree.Not everyone is fortunate enough to go to a good school.Video lectures helped me a lot in celarinng some of the cob webs that I have and still do have. Since the point has come up.. ..

Can I get some suggestions/advice on how to go about preparing this last month before the novermber GRE ?. I always falter at the last step due to not having a right strategy few days before the exam.

I have gone through atleast once/twice reading through the major test areas in PGRE CM, QM, EM, Opitcs, Thermo,GR, few topics in Modern Physics (trying to finish this quickly by this week) and answering a few questions from each chapter and thinking through some problems.Apart from taking the practice tests, what is the best way I can do a quick revision in each area. Any suggestions are appreciated.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:48 pm

sravanskarri wrote:Yeah, I agree.Not everyone is fortunate enough to go to a good school.Video lectures helped me a lot in celarinng some of the cob webs that I have and still do have. Since the point has come up.. ..

Can I get some suggestions/advice on how to go about preparing this last month before the novermber GRE ?. I always falter at the last step due to not having a right strategy few days before the exam.

I have gone through atleast once/twice reading through the major test areas in PGRE CM, QM, EM, Opitcs, Thermo,GR, few topics in Modern Physics (trying to finish this quickly by this week) and answering a few questions from each chapter and thinking through some problems.Apart from taking the practice tests, what is the best way I can do a quick revision in each area. Any suggestions are appreciated.
you have done GR :shock: FOR PGRE?

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:51 pm

you have done GR :shock: FOR PGRE?[/quote]

It is not in the material to be read for the test ... don't worry. I have never seen GRelativity question ... (even in my test). :D

sravanskarri

Post by sravanskarri » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:03 pm

physics_auth wrote:you have done GR :shock: FOR PGRE?
It is not in the material to be read for the test ... don't worry. I have never seen GRelativity question ... (even in my test). :D

I am sorry; my bad.. I meant SR.Do you guys have any suggestions pls ?

pamel

Post by pamel » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:20 am

These are some more videos, that can help you. The level of the courses offered are at the Graduate Level i.e. they are taught to Undergraduate Students at Indian Institute of Technologies.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nptelhrd