October vs November

delton

October vs November

Post by delton » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm signed up to take the PGRE in October , and right now I'm struggling with the question of whether I should take it in November as well.

I am not very well prepared (I've gotten scores of 650 and 700 on 2 practice GREs), and only a few weeks remain, and I really want to get in the 800s, hopefully even 900s. I'm going to be studying like crazy whenever I have time.

Some questions I have are :

Is there an advantage to taking it in October, and mailing your score reports early? I've heard it can take over a month to receive scores, and I'm planning to send my applications in early December. Based on what I've read, October is better and much less stressful. I really would like to get it done with and have time free for other things.

Is it easier to do well on the October test? I've heard that maybe it might be easier to do well on the spring test because more people are taking it for the first time, and the score distribution will be lower, so its easier to hit the top of the distribution. Is this true, or just conjectured?

I'm sure similar questions have been asked before, but any input on the best strategy would be appreciated.
Last edited by delton on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

nathan12343

Re: October vs November

Post by nathan12343 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:21 pm

It's a little unclear from the way you phrase your question - do you mean the general GRE or the PGRE?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:29 pm

I would highly suggest registering for the November test as well. At least that is what I am doing. Even though it is a 130 bucks it is well worth it to have a better chance at placement in a decent program. Secondly, if you have never taken the test before, it will be much easier the second time after some nerves have calmed down.

-Riley

delton

Post by delton » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Thanks for the imput;

at this point it will be a lot less stressful to just take have an extra month to prepare for November.

I may cancel my October seat, or I may take it as a practice.

yhunebrhane

Post by yhunebrhane » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:16 am

i am register for october 10 but i prepare but i need to take in november.