MIT & TOEFL

betelgeuse1

MIT & TOEFL

Post by betelgeuse1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:23 am

Just heard about a catastrophic news: MIT does not accept TOEFL! Is that true? Do I need to take IELTS instead? I already registered for the TOEFL IbT and IELTS costs ~$200 :x (quite expensive for me, considering that only one university asks for it, and the preparation materials are not even included)
It's a pity indeed because MIT was my top choice :( :( :( . I could consider to register for the IELTS only after receiving the PGRE scores but I'm not sure if it's worth... there is always columbia and harvard that do accept TOEFL and on the other side, if I get a low score (like 850) I don't need to bother for any of them so...
Anyway, I am very sad right now, I even changed the "motivation-background" on my desktop, from MIT to Columbia :? , but it's not very helpful...

blackcat007

Re: MIT & TOEFL

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:38 am

betelgeuse1 wrote:Just heard about a catastrophic news: MIT does not accept TOEFL! Is that true? Do I need to take IELTS instead? I already registered for the TOEFL IbT and IELTS costs ~$200 :x (quite expensive for me, considering that only one university asks for it, and the preparation materials are not even included)
It's a pity indeed because MIT was my top choice :( :( :( . I could consider to register for the IELTS only after receiving the PGRE scores but I'm not sure if it's worth... there is always columbia and harvard that do accept TOEFL and on the other side, if I get a low score (like 850) I don't need to bother for any of them so...
Anyway, I am very sad right now, I even changed the "motivation-background" on my desktop, from MIT to Columbia :? , but it's not very helpful...
IELTS is accepted by most other universities too. so if possible cancel TOEFL and register for IELTS, atleast you will get 50% refund. as i heard, its very similar to TOEFL. infact TOEFL iBT is designed very similar to the IELTS.

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:07 am

betelgeuse1 wrote:Just heard about a catastrophic news: MIT does not accept TOEFL! Is that true? Do I need to take IELTS instead? I already registered for the TOEFL IbT and IELTS costs ~$200 :x (quite expensive for me, considering that only one university asks for it, and the preparation materials are not even included)
As for 850 in PGRE, I can ensure that a co-student of mine was accepted to Stanford with 880 and Stanford is top-1 or 3 I think ... .

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:38 am

but I'm international, so, 850 is something like lower limit as I saw...
physics_auth: what about the other 60 questions? I've sent an e-mail and I'm happily (massochistically) waiting for some problems :mrgreen:

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:33 am

betelgeuse1 wrote:but I'm international, so, 850 is something like lower limit as I saw...
physics_auth: what about the other 60 questions? I've sent an e-mail and I'm happily (massochistically) waiting for some problems :mrgreen:
Well, I sent you a private message. And I am also an international student (so is my co-student...).

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:36 pm

betelgeuse1 wrote:but I'm international, so, 850 is something like lower limit as I saw...
What do you mean by saying that 850 is sth like a lower limit? Do you refer to MIT specifically or not?

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:40 pm

My motivation background used to be Jessica Alba, but now it's Megan Fox.

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 pm

*** ! I've just realized that too, I'm in a really similar situation, but I already paid and practiced and did the iBT TOEFL ! This really sucks !

I might try to use a possible loophole though ...

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:36 am

what loophole? As I know IELTS has unlimited valability, so my choice is now IELTS. I took the IBT 2 years ago and now I should take it another time. In my opinion it's better with IELTS at least because of that.

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Well I'm not sure the IELTS is "better" than the iBT TOEFL, some universities really prefer the TOEFL so this really sucks that MIT decided to be special and suddenly refuse the TOEFL (as far as I know this is the only university who does that).

As for the loophole, well I won't go into too much details since it most likely only applies to me, and it may not even work (I will ask some graduate secretary there). The loophole is largely based on the formulation they used : "The IELTS exam is required of all applicants who were born in a country where English is not the primary language." , I'll let you fill in the blanks ...

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:33 pm

got it: UK, india, australia or canada?
what universities accept only toefl?!

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:38 pm

betelgeuse1 wrote:got it: UK, india, australia or canada?
what universities accept only toefl?!
As for only TOEFL, I don't think I have seen any, but from what I have seen the section about that subject are usually entitled "TOEFL exams" and then at the very bottom they say they also accept the IELTS.

betelgeuse1

Post by betelgeuse1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:01 pm

I really don't understand this emphasis with "native english speaker"... You can go anywhere in europe and ask in english for some info in an airport. For example in Paris: they will look at you as if you were an alien bug but they'll be able to tell you in a perfect english that you have to pay an extra fee...

Fudge

Post by Fudge » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:55 am

I can't believe that even MIT does this. I have the feeling that some schools create complicated application requirements to test the applicant's commitment. NYU Stern, for example, asks you to send a photo of your face. I can't see how that helps the adcom determine your potential as a researcher unless they wanna admit good-looking applicants exclusively to distiguish themselves from the econ people.
Last edited by Fudge on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:11 am

Fudge wrote: NYU Stern, for example, asks you to send a photo of your face. I can't see how that helps the adcom determine your potential as a researcher unless they wanna admit good-looking applicants exclusively to distiguish themselves from the econ people.
I can't believe that's legal...

TheBeast

Post by TheBeast » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:26 am

I suspect they can do it because they're a private institution and they probably explain in the fine print of the application that the picture isn't used for admission considerations, but for some BS reason like expediting the creation of student cards.

bianca825

Post by bianca825 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 am

Fudge wrote:I can't believe that even MIT does this. I have the feeling that some schools create complicated application requirements to test the applicant's commitment. NYU Stern, for example, asks you to send a photo of your face. I can't see how that helps the adcom determine your potential as a researcher unless they wanna admit good-looking applicants exclusively to distiguish themselves from the econ people.
can send a fake pretty face cus im sure they wont check after admission :)