Top universities like stanford,yale etc are coming to india.

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

kushraghav

Top universities like stanford,yale etc are coming to india.

Post by kushraghav » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:47 am

In the country new education policy it is expected that several world class universities would set up their campus in india by 2010. do i still need to worry about giving GRE and going to united states to pursue my dream of having a career in physics...plz comment..

schwiss

Re: Top universities like stanford,yale etc are coming to india.

Post by schwiss » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:44 am

kushraghav wrote:In the country new education policy it is expected that several world class universities would set up their campus in india by 2010. do i still need to worry about giving GRE and going to united states to pursue my dream of having a career in physics...plz comment..
The answer is simple: If the university is any good it is always difficult to get into and so GRE's are almost certainly required.

Personally I view going to United States as a huge opportunity, not something I "have" to do. It's obvious satellite campuses don't have facilities and faculty of the same caliber as the main campus. Also I think it's great benefit for any non-native English speaker to live in English-speaking country. You can learn good written English in a classroom, but having confidence in spoken language requires huge amount of practice. While papers are the most important method of communicating research ideas, seminars have something papers don't, mainly the possibility for immediate reactivity of the audience.

I would suggest you to keep your feet on the ground. There is no easy way so just suck it up and get to work.

kushraghav

Post by kushraghav » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:23 pm

@above

oh god..here comes d typical reply . why i am nt surprised. first u dont clearly do not know d details of d program .
u also dont know d culture of india. anyhow leave it. i am nt running from hard work. i am just exploring d opportunities which might come my way.
i know india wud never becum america in scientific research and innovation for a no. of reasons.
i however was excited to see d univ like stanford planning to set up campus.
may be i cud do masters from here and go to america for phd..

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:36 pm

kushraghav wrote:In the country new education policy it is expected that several world class universities would set up their campus in india by 2010. do i still need to worry about giving GRE and going to united states to pursue my dream of having a career in physics...plz comment..
sure don't bother studying for the GRE's .. and wait for them to setup their campuses. if you are lucky, then your grand grand grand .... children may be waived from taking the GRE's, since there will be "Indian" Yale and MIT..

i am surprised, that even after staying in india you are not aware of the speed of implementation of any govt policy.. every political party after coming to power makes megalomaniac claims.. i still remember, sometime ago chief minister of mumbai told he would convert mumbai to shanghai :lol: .. and till now, the moment you step out of the airplane.. you see what the condition is.
Last edited by blackcat007 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:48 pm

kushraghav wrote:@above

oh god..here comes d typical reply . why i am nt surprised. first u dont clearly do not know d details of d program .
u also dont know d culture of india. anyhow leave it. i am nt running from hard work. i am just exploring d opportunities which might come my way.
then why are you posting this in an intl forum.. ??? i am from india and really these sort of news don't bother me because i am aware of the nebulous claims of the demagogues
and what has culture to do with this? I think "culture" is one of those few weasel words used by indians to explain their own inconsistencies and procrastinations to a foreigner. and this is one of the infinite reasons that are keeping us back..
Last edited by blackcat007 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:09 pm

kushraghav wrote:@above

i know india wud never becum america in scientific research and innovation for a no. of reasons.
i however was excited to see d univ like stanford planning to set up campus.
may be i cud do masters from here and go to america for phd..
You are correct, I do not know the details of the program nor Indian culture, but I am pretty sure the program or the culture is not able to change the fact that for every good opportunity there is always much competition.

kushraghav

Post by kushraghav » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:17 am

@blackcat and schwiss

see u guys shud knw that i am nt trying to get a easy passport to success. i was just asking d opinion. u guys r so bitter all d time..

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:42 am

Maybe if you learned how to spell people would take you more seriously. Just a suggestion.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:26 am

kushraghav wrote:@blackcat and schwiss

see u guys shud knw that i am nt trying to get a easy passport to success. i was just asking d opinion. u guys r so bitter all d time..
No offense but, your queries sound too naive to me.. you sound like a layman who doesn't know ANYTHING around.
I am really not trying to be bitter.. as a rational indian you should see both sides of the coin, otherwise you will be one of those jingoists who shout that India is the best country in the world.

kushraghav

Post by kushraghav » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:34 am

@blackcat

i read time magazine dude. sometimes nytimes too. do you think i am a hard core nationalist. dude why r u nt understanding d purpose of d thread. d purpose was nt to show my superiority or my country's..it was just to ..leave it..why u guys end up bashing the thread creator always..

and yes is there a way to delete my account coz i think i got d opinion and ALL D HELP i wud ever need from this community.

twistor

Post by twistor » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:21 pm

dood y do u typ liek ur txting sum1

sav dat sht 4 ur twitter

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:04 pm

I strongly agree with twistor and nathan.

And why delete your account? Just don't log in or post anymore.

physics_auth

Post by physics_auth » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:13 pm

schwiss wrote:I strongly agree with twistor and nathan.

Sorry Schwiss but how to the hell did you understand what twistor wrote?

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:49 am

physics_auth wrote:
schwiss wrote:I strongly agree with twistor and nathan.

Sorry Schwiss but how to the hell did you understand what twistor wrote?
Because I'm a l337 hax0r. Also, n3kk1d. (Hint: read aloud what he writes and it becomes clearer)

kushraghav

Post by kushraghav » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:50 am

@all

i am least interested in picking up a fight here. i just wanted some opinion. and plz dont blame me if you cant see my point coz it might be beyond the myopic range of ur rat sized brains .

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:23 am

kushraghav wrote:@all

i am least interested in picking up a fight here. i just wanted some opinion. and plz dont blame me if you cant see my point coz it might be beyond the myopic range of ur rat sized brains .
yeah and you are the guy with "far sighted vision" and lobotomized brain who is asking for opinions on the setting up of yale and stanford in an underdeveloped country.. on top of that you are sounding like those cheap non technical media persons who ask stupid questions and then ask for opinions.. "ooo NASA is constructing houses on moon, should i buy a house on earth??"
yes?
no ?
can't say?

and fight?? with you ??

kushraghav

Post by kushraghav » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:34 am

@blackcat

"Delegates from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon and Purdue have already visited India to learn more about and from the country. Infact, several foreign universities keen on coming to India have already moved beyond the spadework — Georgia Tech has bought land in Hyderabad and the Schulich School of Business at York University is ‘‘committed’’ to setting up a campus in Mumbai."

it is a quote from leading newspaper in india. but as i said i do not expect them to suddenly make india the scientific superpower..i have no option to pursue masters in physics in india because of certain constraints. i am a engg student.
the top institutes require a physics background. so i thought may be the set up of these new univ might change the requirement so that i can pursue my masters here and go to phd in us.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:58 am

kushraghav wrote:@blackcat

"Delegates from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon and Purdue have already visited India to learn more about and from the country. Infact, several foreign universities keen on coming to India have already moved beyond the spadework — Georgia Tech has bought land in Hyderabad and the Schulich School of Business at York University is ‘‘committed’’ to setting up a campus in Mumbai."

it is a quote from leading newspaper in india. but as i said i do not expect them to suddenly make india the scientific superpower..i have no option to pursue masters in physics in india because of certain constraints. i am a engg student.
the top institutes require a physics background. so i thought may be the set up of these new univ might change the requirement so that i can pursue my masters here and go to phd in us.
yes my friend i know this, you quoted this from TOI isnt it? but the point that i want to emphasize is that these top institutes have their own standard of disseminating education and knowledge, they will surely not start their classes or lab in other institutes campuses or labs (eg: i believe you have heard about the case of IISER whose classes are held in NCL's campuses and the students have to stay somewhere else or the case of the newly mushroomed IIT's) .. so will you wait for them to setup here?

secondly, why should other institutes change their admission criteria just because they are setting up their institutes in a different country.. this would lead to dilution of their standard and reputation. I still don't know why are you under estimating yourself.. why aren't you preparing for PGRE and trying to get into a good physics program.. you must accede to the fact that you may not get into the top 5 schools because of your background, if you want to start your research early. otherwise you can join some visiting student program somewhere and then do some really great work try to publish something under proper supervision , this might enhance your chances of getting into the top 5. but this will cost you a year or two.
For me, good and original research in a good school is more important than keeping back a yr or two trying for a PhD from MIT or Harvard, surely all the top physicists are not from those elite schools.

and the last and the most important point, I still don't believe the news of TOI to the letters.. there had been many cases where they bluff like hell.. eg: sometime ago there was this news where the airline Kingfisher was going to acquire the A380's, and the newspapers said they were committed and all such words.. but then ultimately.. you also know what happened..

kushraghav

Post by kushraghav » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:19 am

@blackcat

now dats a sensible reply. thanx a lot dude. and yes ur brain is definitely not rat sized. dat was for d oder ppl.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:40 am

kushraghav wrote:@all

i am least interested in picking up a fight here.
really???
kushraghav wrote:i was just asking d opinion. u guys r so bitter all d time..
want to know why??

here is why..
kushraghav wrote:@blackcat

now dats a sensible reply. thanx a lot dude. and yes ur brain is definitely not rat sized. dat was for d oder ppl.
you can't expect good reply unless you are good to others.. your first reply where you mentioned " others being unaware of the "Indian culture" and program details" spoiled everyone's attitude towards you, and thats how you antagonize others..
and please don't write these orkut or sms lingo here.. it really spoils the look of your posts and reflects badly on you..

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:20 am

kushraghav seems to be one of those people equating friendliness of a person with friendliness of the content of their message. So, let me set this straight:
1. Not all people that say things you want to hear are friendly.
2. Not all people that say things you don't want to hear are enemies.

I know this is not a widespread opinion, but I think a person should be allowed to always state the facts without being considered impolite. It is a fact that writing like that is annoying to read, and there exists a time period after which a person becomes unable to stay courteous towards annoying things (I suspect twistor has long since gone beyond that limit).

Even if you liked it more, it would be much more evil to give you false hope. Barring any force that is majeure enough, you are not going to get to Yale, whether in US or in India, without a solid physics background and it will do you much harm to assume you will or that it is even a real possibility.

Now, I am not at the slightest affected by opinions of a random internet person I have no respect towards, and I also am assured that I'm intelligent enough for whatever I want to do in life. However, I hope you understand that not only is personally attacking people immature and offensive, it also shows YOU are not academically minded enough to keep arguments between opinions, not between people.