It's March!

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Nishikata

It's March!

Post by Nishikata » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:19 am

Everyone, it's March!

First of all, ehm, congratulations to those who have received offers last month!
In March, there're many schools who hold Open House events. Hopefully you'll get to know better of your schools and professors in this month. :D

For those who haven't received offers, myself included, this is the month that we've to endure.
I do not want to crush our already little hopes, but March, usually is the month where many rejections are sent.
I personally believe that my chances are better if I hear no news until April, which I believe to mean that I'm in the wait-list and not in the sure-reject candidate list. Fair to say that the ones with offers would reasonably wait until April before declining some of their offers, which could mean that no extra offers will be made before this is done.

I'm down to three schools: Columbia, UIUC, and Oxford MMathPhys.
Honestly, I don't think there's a reasonable chance except maybe UIUC.
Columbia's CMT only has three professors while Oxford MMathPhys had rejected me last year.

I'm starting to prepare for the European/Japanese admission cycle, probably this will be a long game.
Let's hope for the best!

Zn004

Re: It's March!

Post by Zn004 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:08 pm

I assume you are from JP. (Juduging by your username,or you just like that anime, balance of probability. ) If this is the case you can probably consider research opportunities in China.(Since it took only 2 hours flight from Tokyo to Beijing) Programs in Tsinghua and Beijing University are great and world-class, and Shanxi University possesses one of the best optics labs in East Aisa. Also, what I heard is housing expense is covered despite the comparatively low stipend(enough to live but not to thrive). I heard that these programs are easier for international students to get in than for natives.

I haven't heard anything from anywhere for 19 days already and the silence is deafening(sigh). The most irritating part is that SUNY stony brook sent out waves and waves of rejections for PhD along with acceptance for masters but ignored me. :shock: :shock: maybe Im not good enough for their masters.

Anyway, wish you the best.

Also, do you play fate/grand order? I heard it is an national mobile game in JP and I desperately need strong support members to help me in the CCC activity.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:10 pm

Haha, I do not play FGO, and I am not good with games in general.

Thanks for the suggestion.

anupamraj0701

Post by anupamraj0701 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:00 pm

I feel you brother. This has been a really long wait for me too lately and I am only left with two schools out of the 5 that I had applied too. I already got rejected from my top 3 and I know there is an urge to start judging myself and to make plans for next year. However, we should not take these rejections so personally. Colleges can only take a few ones right ?

Honestly I just wish people who deserve do get the admits and this process gets over soon. I will make something good out of my life one way or another. Good luck to you too man :)

divemasterexplorer

Post by divemasterexplorer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:10 am

This is just a kind suggestion, as the waiting time can be really anxiety-provoking... Maybe it is also a good idea to apply to some Canadian schools as a back-up, I heard their deadlines are later than American ones... Maybe some applied physics programs and engineering programs have later deadlines... I find applying to a couple more places helpful in terms of anxiety relief, when I was waiting for results... And btw, some physics schools may still receive applications... for example, a physics professor at Univ Hawaii-Manoa told me that although the deadline was a long time ago, they won't start reviewing until this Thursday and the results won't be available until next week...
While schools in EU may have different deadlines too, they usually expect a master if you apply for PhD... I was also considering European schools, but I was told it would be difficult to guarantee funding unless you are a citizen of European Union... Btw, schools in Germany usually teach in English and there is no tuition, so it might be easier to get in comparing to UK ones... and you can do a master without commitment for a PhD (and apply to wherever again after)... Hope you will have good news from the schools you applied to soon!

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 am

Just got rejected by Columbia. Ouch.

Now my only US school left is UIUC.
If I somehow got in, I really would owe kronotsky for informing about its later application deadline.

Zn004

Post by Zn004 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:07 am

I am really confused actually. I have come acrossed your profile and it is really impressing( I remember cuz you are the only one in this forum with a profile pic), it is strange to see you got rejected by all these schools and even without being waitlisted....I feel something went wrong and it is in a direction you didn't even notice...maybe english or attitude issue?(no offense though, bring it up because these two are the only reasons I can come up with, suppose you have no flaws in your other application materials)

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:13 pm

I have no idea either. Attitude is not much reflected in your applications, unless you screwed up your SOP so badly. Like writing in super arrogant tone or blaming irrelevant parties. English is not likely a problem either, especially with TOEFL and heavily-revised SOP.

My best, rational suspect is the 3-year gap due to work was a killer weakness, and I probably should have not mentioned about it at all and focus on the positives even though it’s all done during my undergrad. Maybe they would have overlooked it, maybe. Haha.

I have a friend who’s in similar condition but his 3-year work is much more related to academia (RA) and therefore to more publications, and we’ve all gotten same rejections from our common schools and programs. (Except UIUC, which i don’t know my results yet). The destinations I choose are highly competitive too, especially for my ethnic pool to apply for CMT.

Waitlist policy is meant for borderline cases, and top schools know that not many will reject their offers. There shouldn’t be many people in this list either. For Columbia which takes in probably 3-5 students in CMT maximum (they only have 3 CMT Prof), the waitlist is probably only a few students. I don’t think Harvard or MIT would need a waitlist at all. They can just offer few more spots than what they intend to have at the same time, knowing they have well qualified pool of applicants (who are still better than me) and they can still support them even if nobody declines the offer as they practically have no funding problems.

I guess we’ll never know why I am rejected. I can list other possibilities beyond my control too, such as maybe my letter writers aren’t writing as good as I believe they would be. But what’s the point?

It just means I should try some other places, or try again with a different method next year. Even that new method won’t guarantee me an admission, anyway.

Zn004

Post by Zn004 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Well according to what I heard during college(a decent liberal arts college in US), gap year(s) won't be a problem and it will add flavor to your resumé if your work is related to the field, the bottomline here is it won't make you look bad at all...

And you exclude the possibility of screwing your SOP and english/attitude issue....I really don't know why, I got a friend admitted to top schools and his profile is not superior to you...maybe it is really your recommendation..if all your recommenders are from your home institution, which is outside the socalled western world and they are unknown to admission commitee, then you are screwed I guess....

Besides, I suppose english can sometimes be an issue when come to interview, even if you got a decent TOFEL score...those prerecording video interview is really killing me and excluded me from one of my safty, cuz I stuttered in the middle.(I mean, I stutter when speaking my first language, it is not my fault....)

Zn004

Post by Zn004 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:58 pm

Also, looks like most UIUC acceptance had gone out on thegradcafe, but since they are doing a rolling process, i wish you the best....maybe you should sent emails to them and tell them you really want that offer and will definitely attend. I read a case like this online and hopefully this works for you too...

the intermidinary agent ppl, on the other hand, told me not to rush them for decisions though...

Anyway, I'm still waiting for Rochester, Penn State and Stony Brook for the final jurisdication, hopefully we all got into the place we have dreamed of..

divemasterexplorer

Post by divemasterexplorer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Well, it is better not to doubt about your life experience in that regard - everyone has different experiences! According to my experience as an international asian applicant, the fact that we are international and school choices may largely affect the turnout. For example, public school departments have to pay more for your(my) tuition, and you(I) will never become a resident in the near future, while for domestic students they can become a resident after they moved there (different state has different rules but ... ) There are more chances to get positive turnout from those public schools that do not receive as many domestic applications. I do believe a lot of International students are very bright as well and deserve the competitive schools in their field. However, it is also advisable to apply to more back-up schools. I do hope you have a good chance for UIUC (if it is possible to secure funding from an agency in your country, you should let them know.) I got a masters offer from Stony Brook which asked me to pay although I am going to decline that one...

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:19 pm

Zn004 wrote:Also, looks like most UIUC acceptance had gone out on thegradcafe, but since they are doing a rolling process, i wish you the best....maybe you should sent emails to them and tell them you really want that offer and will definitely attend. I read a case like this online and hopefully this works for you too...

the intermidinary agent ppl, on the other hand, told me not to rush them for decisions though...

Anyway, I'm still waiting for Rochester, Penn State and Stony Brook for the final jurisdication, hopefully we all got into the place we have dreamed of..
I won’t rush them. Everybody wants an offer, so telling them won’t change their decisions.
Even if I didn’t get in there, that’s fine too i guess. UIUC was not in my original list of schools until kronotsky brought it up. Understanding their admission process, they’ll indeed do rolling. Let’s see if i can avoid being in the rejection list. :D

tz10x5

Post by tz10x5 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:02 am

-
Last edited by tz10x5 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:46 am

My physics GPA is 4.71/5.00, roughly that should be 3.77 in 4-point scale.
But yeah, I too am a believer that no score is high enough except perfect score. :D

Just to clarify, I am not surprised with all the rejections.
I've expected that when it comes to applying to Reach schools, it's either you win all or lose all.
When Berkeley's rejection came in, I have pretty much understood what's coming for the rest.

Just maybe, I maybe in a deeper (but pleasant) dilemma if UIUC sends an acceptance.
I've recently started liking the prospect of going to European Masters programs, which sell hopes that I would be able to take another shot from a better position at these top US schools after the Masters.

UIUC, as I mentioned above, was not in my original list of destinations.
I probably wouldn't have applied if their deadlines were in December.
Thus there'll be questions arising whether to accept the only offer, or to let it go and try on the European Masters.

But that sweet problem is for later, as it might not happen either. :D

Now I should browse the European programs and prepare my applications all over again.
Rewrite my SOP, CV, and contact professors.

divemasterexplorer

Post by divemasterexplorer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Great, attitude! Just do not think about the rejections any more -- you can think later if you want to re-apply to these schools in the future. By the way, I have a conception that germans and Swiss speak much better English comparing to a majority of French people. In Germany, universities are tightly bonded to max Planck institutes and if they are close enough in distance such as TUM and Uni Heidelberg, those lab people also come to teach at universities. Plus you get free student train tickets or at least a much discounted one most places in Europe, cheap and good meals etc. It could indeed be an enjoyable experience at least the food and public transportation are so much better! (If you are concerned about cost of living, in case they did not give you much grants. There are some really good schools in places that rent come below 500 euros per month as well! -- the struggles of rent and college education sounds more like an American thing :P :D ) By the way, I do think that the individual professors have more influence on the applications in most European schools than the American system. Maybe try email the people you are interested in working with and who knows, they might give you a grant or some reimbursement if they have the money.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:30 am

Frankly, I am deeply excited on the idea of being able to watch Champions League in person if I study in Paris or Munich. :D

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:13 pm

UIUC rejection just came in.

At least, i won’t have that problem.

sadman

Post by sadman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:44 pm

Nishikata wrote:Frankly, I am deeply excited on the idea of being able to watch Champions League in person if I study in Paris or Munich. :D
That is something I too had in mind while applying to European universities!

rhmancil

Post by rhmancil » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:00 pm

I think it was a mistake to only apply to top schools. You overestimated your possibilities because of Physics GRE was very high. (In your case, I would have done the same)

How old are you? Others reasons can be your recomendation letter (perhaps you have a bad recomendation and you don't know it). Also your personal statement or purpose statement could be weak.

You can improve your research, recomendation letter, personal statement and purpose statement. It must be hard this situation, but you don't never give up!

jerrychen

Post by jerrychen » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:27 am

Nishikata wrote:My physics GPA is 4.71/5.00, roughly that should be 3.77 in 4-point scale.
But yeah, I too am a believer that no score is high enough except perfect score. :D

I've expected that when it comes to applying to Reach schools, it's either you win all or lose all.
When Berkeley's rejection came in, I have pretty much understood what's coming for the rest.

Just maybe, I maybe in a deeper (but pleasant) dilemma if UIUC sends an acceptance.
I've recently started liking the prospect of going to European Masters programs, which sell hopes that I would be able to take another shot from a better position at these top US schools after the Masters.

Thus there'll be questions arising whether to accept the only offer, or to let it go and try on the European Masters.

Now I should browse the European programs and prepare my applications all over again.
I agree with you. I think studying in Europe will also benefit more than in the US. One thing is that there will be less distraction and then you can focus on physics study and research. I asked my supervisor how about his students who went to the US for physics PhD, mainly about whether they decided to continue their research career any more after graduation, and he replied with silence. Another is that I do not think current America is a suitable place for scientists and engineers. Think about their president and the difficulties emerging in the application for a simple visiting-scholar VISA. Adi Shamir could even be denied to attend the meeting he himself opened and held. I don't really believe it will be a good choice to go there for further education and study recently. Go to Europe and stay far away from these s**t :-)

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 am

rhmancil wrote:I think it was a mistake to only apply to top schools. You overestimated your possibilities because of Physics GRE was very high. (In your case, I would have done the same)

How old are you? Others reasons can be your recomendation letter (perhaps you have a bad recomendation and you don't know it). Also your personal statement or purpose statement could be weak.

You can improve your research, recomendation letter, personal statement and purpose statement. It must be hard this situation, but you don't never give up!
I won't say it is a mistake. As you can see from my above posts before the UIUC rejection came, I was undeservedly contemplating whether to take the UIUC offer should it come (now we know it doesn't, haha). I only apply to the school that I want to go to. Hence, no safeties. What happens now is that I'll adjust my targets to where I think I can have a chance at, but I do not think that I will ever apply to a school below my perceived level in each round. Perceptions change, but standards don't. 8)

I overestimated my profile in this round, that is true. But that's just the process. There's no golden metric to know that beforehand, and I have no way to know what exactly is in the application materials that worked against my candidacy. I see no point in trying to troubleshoot and pinpoint what I can't see. So, I move on.

How old am I? I am 4 years after undergrad, definitely not a fresh grad, maybe a little rotten :D
For myself, I do not restrict my studies by a certain deadline. Sure it'll be nice to get to a program that starts this Fall, but even if that doesn't happen, I think I can wait till Spring or even the following Fall.

tz10x5

Post by tz10x5 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:34 pm

-
Last edited by tz10x5 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

divemasterexplorer

Post by divemasterexplorer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:52 pm

I personally consider doubting one own's life experience and recommendation letters to be pointless -- unless you can name better ones to write your letter or get a fake ID and start a new life all over again. Should have some good faith in this world although things come unexpected sometimes. Haha I personally find there are more distraction in Europe than the United States, it is very easy traveling to everywhere by train or cheap air... Well, I do not personally consider top schools that big of a deal... Things can be interesting on microscopic levels not just the macroscopic rankings... lol There's always life worth living and something worth doing...

Zn004

Post by Zn004 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:38 am

jerrychen wrote:
Nishikata wrote:My physics GPA is 4.71/5.00, roughly that should be 3.77 in 4-point scale.

I agree with you. I think studying in Europe will also benefit more than in the US. One thing is that there will be less distraction and then you can focus on physics study and research. I asked my supervisor how about his students who went to the US for physics PhD, mainly about whether they decided to continue their research career any more after graduation, and he replied with silence. Another is that I do not think current America is a suitable place for scientists and engineers. Think about their president and the difficulties emerging in the application for a simple visiting-scholar VISA. Adi Shamir could even be denied to attend the meeting he himself opened and held. I don't really believe it will be a good choice to go there for further education and study recently. Go to Europe and stay far away from these s**t :-)
keliaobude.....I really think you have some serious misunderstandings there....

Zn004

Post by Zn004 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:41 am

Nishikata wrote:Frankly, I am deeply excited on the idea of being able to watch Champions League in person if I study in Paris or Munich. :D
frankly, not paris.

divemasterexplorer

Post by divemasterexplorer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:39 am

Zn004 wrote:
jerrychen wrote:

This can be a statement for GRE analytical writing... :) ANYONE here interested in running for the US president for the next round? :P There are different life styles and political backgrounds wherever people choose to live... but I have to say that the result of the election is not good/decent demonstration of population's collective intelligence... :oops:

jerrychen

Post by jerrychen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:44 am

divemasterexplorer wrote:
Zn004 wrote:
jerrychen wrote:
This can be a statement for GRE analytical writing... :) ANYONE here interested in running for the US president for the next round? :P There are different life styles and political backgrounds wherever people choose to live... but I have to say that the result of the election is not good/decent demonstration of population's collective intelligence... :oops:
Yeah, that is exactly what I want to say, i.e. the overall state and situation. I have to say parts of this world are going insane, and I don't really mean to try to judge anyone's choice but I still have my own position and my own pursuit. If I hurt anybody's feeling like Zn004, then I have to apologize but I will not change my opinion.

P.S. I do not really believe that something like GRE AW can reflect anything related with any truth or any right ways to think analytically and/or critically. Don't you think that is just a boring test with stubborn writing routine?

divemasterexplorer

Post by divemasterexplorer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Yeah... the politics is different maybe easier at this point except for the fact that it is equally favored by some terrorist groups and Syrian war refugees... It is not rare at all to see anti-refugee parades/attacks in places -- I have seen it myself in Dresden. In that sense, there is still some sort of white supremacy over there too... I could not say which is better or not, places are different and people have different choices, which is a good thing... It is also based on fact that the financial support for, particularly, non EU students (and even for postdocs) in most schools in Europe is not as good as most schools in the US... It is also true EU has significantly better public welfare in many aspects...

The politics is different -- it may be easier... It is different so it is hard to normally compare... For example, Germany has very limited access in constructing reactors per nuclear policy...

All in all, there are places to improve and the fact that nowhere is perfect is meaning too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_e ... by_country
[quote="jerrychen"][quote="divemasterexplorer"][quote="Zn004"][quote="jerrychen"]

noethername

Post by noethername » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 pm

I am an American. Please, help me pray (and I'm not even religious) that our upcoming election cycle turns out better. AT LEAST give us someone who understands why past presidents knew to put scientists in charge at the DOE and let other scientists actually do their jobs. Kinder immigration procedures and better health policies would be nice too... maybe someone who doesn't terrify the rest of the world... :roll:

In the meantime, I guess at least for the first year of grad school I'll have to settle for hiding in the physics department where most people dislike him! As if I'd have a choice but to spend all my time there anyway. :lol:

Oh, and if anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to educate some sense into our anti-vaxxers, let us know!

Cosmicomic

Post by Cosmicomic » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:54 pm

noethername wrote:I am an American. Please, help me pray (and I'm not even religious) that our upcoming election cycle turns out better. AT LEAST give us someone who understands why past presidents knew to put scientists in charge at the DOE and let other scientists actually do their jobs. Kinder immigration procedures and better health policies would be nice too... maybe someone who doesn't terrify the rest of the world... :roll:

In the meantime, I guess at least for the first year of grad school I'll have to settle for hiding in the physics department where most people dislike him! As if I'd have a choice but to spend all my time there anyway. :lol:

Oh, and if anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to educate some sense into our anti-vaxxers, let us know!
I agree. Last cycle was a disaster with the loser's response. So glad they didn't win. I'd like better health policies (more affordable) and better immigration policies (no more mass importation to put downward pressure on wages, and hopefully to do something about the rising population here, its crazy--too many people in the US as it is. Everywhere's crowded, not to mention the environmental impact and the potential for uniparty dominance-/shudder!)

Educating anti-vaxxers--I'm not sure that's possible. Its like trying to use reason to counter emotion-it rarely works.

At least there's always the calming and constant physics to distract from the crazy media and SJWs run-amok.

Cheers!

kronotsky

Post by kronotsky » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:48 am

I'm kind of glad this forum has too few participants to start a good old fashioned flame war, but also kind of disappointed.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:35 am

I certainly didn't expect this kinda discussion when I started the thread.

Anyway, it's good for killing some time before starting an "It's April!" :)

Cosmicomic

Post by Cosmicomic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:19 am

Nishikata wrote:I certainly didn't expect this kinda discussion when I started the thread.

Anyway, it's good for killing some time before starting an "It's April!" :)
Is it

A. sensitive to initial conditions
B. unstable equillibrium
C. topological mixing
D. Can't wait for April

D sounds good but it comes with a side of late rejections :?

jerrychen

Post by jerrychen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:13 am

noethername wrote:I am an American. Please, help me pray (and I'm not even religious) that our upcoming election cycle turns out better. AT LEAST give us someone who understands why past presidents knew to put scientists in charge at the DOE and let other scientists actually do their jobs. Kinder immigration procedures and better health policies would be nice too... maybe someone who doesn't terrify the rest of the world... :roll:

Fingers Crossed. I am also waiting for a better election cycle... Already too frightened this year just to see my friends' being rejected/checked for VISA application just to attend their campus visits...