flexibility in changing field of interest

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

blackcat007

flexibility in changing field of interest

Post by blackcat007 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:53 am

I have done a summer project in theoretical cosmology basically dark energy and stuff. i wrote to some schools and i have got +ve reply in a way that the prof said that he will keep an eye for my application, now suppose i apply to grad school mentioning my primary interest in cosmology grp and also mention my interest in other groups like HEP th, then do i have a better chance of admission as compared if i state my primary interest in HEP th, since i have my research project in cosmology?
also incase i want to change my field of interest to HEP th after my 2 yrs of grad courses then how flexible will it be? will they pin me down with the proposed interest i had stated in my SOP?

surjective

Re: flexibility in changing field of interest

Post by surjective » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:46 pm

You can change your field of interest easily; no one will stop you. However, there are advantages to not switching: profs who read the applications will keep in mind who looks good in their area of interest, and may pass word on to their colleagues: "hey, John Smith is interested in your field and looks good". This makes it easier / quicker to get into a good group. When you switch fields, you are back to square one since no one will know you in that area.

So, I suggest you fill in the application with the thing you actually want to do. Then, if you change your mind, just switch.

Best of Luck!

blackcat007

Re: flexibility in changing field of interest

Post by blackcat007 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:01 pm

surjective wrote:You can change your field of interest easily; no one will stop you. However, there are advantages to not switching: profs who read the applications will keep in mind who looks good in their area of interest, and may pass word on to their colleagues: "hey, John Smith is interested in your field and looks good". This makes it easier / quicker to get into a good group. When you switch fields, you are back to square one since no one will know you in that area.

So, I suggest you fill in the application with the thing you actually want to do. Then, if you change your mind, just switch.

Best of Luck!
Thank you very much :)