chances at math/ME grad schools if i dropped 2 classes?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

larry burns

chances at math/ME grad schools if i dropped 2 classes?

Post by larry burns » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:39 am

i'm currently a physics/applied math major with a 3.85 gpa, but not in the gpa calculation is the fact that i have 2 W's on it (i dropped an honors abstract algebra class and a mech eng class after the deadline)

i'm interested in doing a MS or phD in applied math or mechanical engineering, in computational fluid dynamics

i will probably have average letters of recommendation from a prof in one of my former classes, a prof i did a REU with, and my current prof who i'm helping with his research

for the GRE verbals, so far i'm scoring in the high 400- low 500 range

how badly will my 2 W's reflect on my chances of getting into a good school? i'm looking mostly into stanford and UC berkeley because of their locations

also, how am i expected to score well on the math GRE if i havent completed a course in abstract algebra (i dropped it), and never took topology? I'm thinking of doing mechanical engineering over applied math simply because i dont have to take the math GRE and because i dont wanna take more proof-based classes in grad school. is that a wise decision?

noojens

Re: chances at math/ME grad schools if i dropped 2 classes?

Post by noojens » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:15 am

What's your long-term goal? Academia or industry?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:46 pm

I'm not sure how familiar the people here are with math and ME grad programs.

noojens

Post by noojens » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:24 pm

larry burns wrote:i'm currently a physics/applied math major with a 3.85 gpa, but not in the gpa calculation is the fact that i have 2 W's on it (i dropped an honors abstract algebra class and a mech eng class after the deadline)

i'm interested in doing a MS or phD in applied math or mechanical engineering, in computational fluid dynamics

i will probably have average letters of recommendation from a prof in one of my former classes, a prof i did a REU with, and my current prof who i'm helping with his research

for the GRE verbals, so far i'm scoring in the high 400- low 500 range

how badly will my 2 W's reflect on my chances of getting into a good school? i'm looking mostly into stanford and UC berkeley because of their locations

also, how am i expected to score well on the math GRE if i havent completed a course in abstract algebra (i dropped it), and never took topology? I'm thinking of doing mechanical engineering over applied math simply because i dont have to take the math GRE and because i dont wanna take more proof-based classes in grad school. is that a wise decision?
I'm just curious what your end goal is, because if you'd like to do CFD either in a ME department or in industry (e.g. at Boeing), a ME degree will serve you better. And you don't need to take any subject GRE tests to apply for ME programs.

As for the GRE verbal, for math or engineering it's pretty nearly irrelevant. Scoring an 800 on your quantitative section is more important, but frankly the GRE is a minimal aspect of engineering applications. It's been said that "GPA and GRE can keep you out, but research and letters get you in."

Regarding the math GRE, it's half calculus. The algebra section is only 25% of the test, and this is primarily composed of linear algebra and high school level stuff. The rest is probability, statistics and discrete math. You'll be fine without modern algebra.

larry burns

Post by larry burns » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:08 pm

noojens wrote: I'm just curious what your end goal is, because if you'd like to do CFD either in a ME department or in industry (e.g. at Boeing), a ME degree will serve you better. And you don't need to take any subject GRE tests to apply for ME programs.

As for the GRE verbal, for math or engineering it's pretty nearly irrelevant. Scoring an 800 on your quantitative section is more important, but frankly the GRE is a minimal aspect of engineering applications. It's been said that "GPA and GRE can keep you out, but research and letters get you in."

Regarding the math GRE, it's half calculus. The algebra section is only 25% of the test, and this is primarily composed of linear algebra and high school level stuff. The rest is probability, statistics and discrete math. You'll be fine without modern algebra.
my end goal is to do CFD in industry or a government lab. so i guess ME is better?

i've heard that GRE verbal is irrelevant as long as you're not near the minimum cut-off. but what if my scores are in the high 400- low 500 range? isnt that really close to the cut-off?