Physics after Computer Enginnering??

sumit.agarwal3

Physics after Computer Enginnering??

Post by sumit.agarwal3 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:00 am

Hi Friends,
I am a software engineer working in Mumbai, India. I have done my under graduation in computer science in India. With my 1.5 years of IT experience, I have realized that I would like to pursue my graduation and even PHD in physics. I wanted to know about the challenges that I would face in doing so, as for the last 5 years I have been associated with computer engineering and have not been remotely associated with physics. Theory of relativity and quantum mechanics have always excited me, and I would like to pursue a study on the same. Please let me know if its possible for a software professional to get into physics. If yes, then what should be my immediate steps. Should I take GRE or the subject GRE. I just needed some sort of a guidance from you for the next 6 months or which would help me improve myself to the extent that I can work in physics. Keenly awaiting your guidance.
Thanks.

bhagya22

Re: Physics after Computer Enginnering??

Post by bhagya22 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:07 am

u have to give both gre n d subject gre as well.....there are universities who accept gre also...
u can also contact me for further details-
FACT thane (ph no : 25397777,25393991)
regards,
bhagya
http://www.gurukulonweb.com
http://www.bindas-bol.com

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:48 pm

just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but relativity is not the most lucrative field in physics; if you want to pursue it in graduate school you might need to get some research experience first, since you're coming from a CS background. It seems that everyone plans to be the next Einstein or Feynman and thinks that relativity is the way to do this - but it's going to be much harder for you to get into a program with this attitude about it - so I'd suggest checking out other fields too (maybe quantum optics or quantum computing or something).

I'm also kind of a relativist (hoping to do gravitation), but I am trying to optimize my chances of acceptance by 1) having research experience in it already, and 2) being openly flexible about other fields in physics - this might help you out! Good luck with your applications!

collectedsoul

Post by collectedsoul » Thu May 28, 2009 8:19 am

Hi Sumit,

I'm in a similar situation myself. This is what I have learnt:

There are people who have a background in computers and have gone on to PhD programs in the US. The most important thing, apart from the Physics GRE score, is the 2-3 recommendation letters (written by your Physics professors in college or those you've worked with whilst preparing for the test) and the sop. The sop is where you really have to come across as a worthy investment for the physics college you're applying to.

I'm taking the Physics GRE next year and am starting preparations for it myself. Let me know how it goes with you and if I can assist you in any way.