Physics Books, etc

species motrix

Physics Books, etc

Post by species motrix » Tue May 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi,

I got an Astronomy-Physics degree at a big 10 university a few years ago. I flubbed some of my grades in college due to the insipid disillusionment phase I was having at the time, so after I graduated I dicked around for awhile and got an MLS degree just for the hell of it. Now I'm thinking that I might like to get back into Astronomy and/or Physics via any master's program that would take me. However, since I've been out of the game for a little while I'll have to study extra hard for my Physics GRE.

My question is: looking around this site, I've seen a lot of recommendations for "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday et al and "Modern Physics" by Beiser... would anyone know whether the equivalents I already have by Serway and Tipler, respectively, are a suitable substitute for the purposes of the PGRE, or would it be wise to invest in the aforementioned?

Thanks much!

dlenmn

Re: Physics Books, etc

Post by dlenmn » Wed May 13, 2009 4:14 pm

If they cover the same material, then run with them. I think the other books are a bit better (something of a personal choice), but since you've seen the material before, it's not a big deal.

Engage

Post by Engage » Wed May 13, 2009 4:23 pm

i used only university physics by young and freedman and that worked out pretty well

species motrix

Post by species motrix » Wed May 13, 2009 7:38 pm

Excellent... thanks much for the input!