Last Call for Profiles: Time to Update/Finish the 09 Thread

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

quizivex

Last Call for Profiles: Time to Update/Finish the 09 Thread

Post by quizivex » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:03 am

Hi, on behalf of future physics grad students, THANKS to everyone who posted on the 2009 profile thread.

Naturally, a handful of the people haven't been on the forum in a while or may have forgotten to update their profiles... But since April 15th is here, the epic admission process should be over, so as we did in 08, it'd be great if someone could volunteer to PM the these users to request that they complete their profile. This PMing was very effective last year. Most users did come back, even the ones who hadn't been on the forum in months, since PGRE.com sends an e-mail when someone gets a PM on here. Anyone up for this?

Also, it'd be great if we could get some new profiles on here before everyone drifts away from the forum. The more profiles we get, the more diverse and informative the thread is for future students. The thread is not only valuable to seniors/applicants, but also to young beginning physics majors... For instance:

-Future prospectives can learn what schools students with similar research interests applied to and can look into them. (Otherwise, how else will they find out? Profs at their school might not know about every suitable program. Just seeing that an applicant applied to U of Florida for low temperature physics would at least prompt a student with those interests to check their webpage.)

-Young physics students can learn what types of activities and programs they should be looking for. (If nobody told them what REUs are, they'll never know about them. But seeing this applicant did and "REU" and this one did "NUF" and this one did some program in Switzerland...)

xudis149

Re: Last Call for Profiles: Time to Update/Finish the 09 Thread

Post by xudis149 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:36 am

I can PM those who have not updated their profiles yet. I have lot of free time too :)

I myself have been greatly helped by this forum and its users. A year back I had no idea that engineers could switch to physics, until I searched "physics after engineering" in google and found this site.

Also, the 2008 profiles thread was very helpful for me in selecting list of universities to apply for. I too request others to place their profiles if they haven't done yet. It would really help future prospectives.

xudis149

Post by xudis149 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:41 am

BTW, when will the 2009 profiles thread be locked from further editing?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:06 am

sidharthsp wrote:BTW, when will the 2009 profiles thread be locked from further editing?
Whenever you guys want me to.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks Sidharthsp!! Glad to hear the 2008 thread was useful to you.

No worries, the '09 thread won't be locked for a while... probably in the summer after we're sure everyone who wanted to post has posted.

kobayashi_maru

Post by kobayashi_maru » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Frankly, I'm a little surprised more people aren't supplying their accepted/rejected info in their 'official' profile in the control panel. I think having the results in the 'Applications Results/Stats' section is really useful for quick comparisons, although the profile thread obviously offers more detailed information. I think the two complement each other well and found myself wishing over the past few months that the Results/Stats page got a little more love.

a13ean

Post by a13ean » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:07 pm

I need till friday =/

MrKite

Post by MrKite » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:58 pm

I have to say its quite annoying and not very useful when people put "not good" or " :oops: " under their GRE scores (likewise with "awesome" and " :mrgreen: ")

Comon people, we are prospective physicists - give us the numbers. This is an anonymous forum, even if you got a bad (or good) GRE, post the score!

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:35 pm

MrKite wrote:I have to say its quite annoying and not very useful when people put "not good" or " :oops: " under their GRE scores (likewise with "awesome" and " :mrgreen: ")

Comon people, we are prospective physicists - give us the numbers. This is an anonymous forum, even if you got a bad (or good) GRE, post the score!
Yeah, last year we had a rule, no comments or smileys on anything. Mostly because when people are all whining and embarassed about their 700's PGRE score, it makes it less likely that the people who scored lower will post their profiles. If there are enough people who agree, I could go through and remove the smileys and delete any junk profiles.

volcano

Post by volcano » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:27 pm

I have tried today to update my profile and I find out that thethreat is locked. Is there a way with which I can update my profile in order to add the admissions decision from McMaster University which I have received today?

[resolved by moderator]