Are Canadians considered international students ?

Mataka

Are Canadians considered international students ?

Post by Mataka » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi, I was wondering, as a Canadian, if I'm being evaluated as an internationnal student or if Canadians are pretty much considered like american from the point of view of the selection committe ?

a13ean

Re: Are Canadians considered international students ?

Post by a13ean » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:45 pm

Yep

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:11 pm

This has been discussed a number of times, and I believe the general consensus is that you will be considered as an international from a funding point of view (you will still cost the University more than a US citizen), but more like a domestic student in terms of what is expected from your application (GRE scores, etc).

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Ha ok great (sorry if I repeated an old subject), on the other hand from a funding point of view most Canadians will bring some Canadian money (NSERC scholarship, 22 000$/year) so funding should not be a major issue.

vicente

Post by vicente » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Yes, Canadians are international students. Certain schools that accept very few international students due to funding issues will also accept very few Canadians.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:24 am

vicente wrote:Yes, Canadians are international students. Certain schools that accept very few international students due to funding issues will also accept very few Canadians.
could you please name some of those schools? or has this topic been discussed already (i couldn't find it though) .. it will really help me to strike some schools from my very long list of grad school 2010 :shock: .

vicente

Post by vicente » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Most of the UC's, for example UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, UCLA, I don't know about Berkeley, Irvine, and Riverside.

University of Texas at Austin accepts something like half of all American applicants but maybe only 1/10th of the non-Americans.

I am pretty sure Colorado makes it harder for international applicants as well.

If people know about other universities' policies, please post them.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:02 pm

vicente wrote:Most of the UC's, for example UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, UCLA, I don't know about Berkeley, Irvine, and Riverside.

University of Texas at Austin accepts something like half of all American applicants but maybe only 1/10th of the non-Americans.

I am pretty sure Colorado makes it harder for international applicants as well.

If people know about other universities' policies, please post them.
hmm that was really a nice info.. i have considered UC Santa cruz, also i have sent my scores there for fall 2010. lets see what happens.. :shock: